Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 toyota tundra trd edition, my battery went dead so i jumped it this morning, the truck started fine but when i got home it would idle really low. I turned it off and turned it back on and it would idle again really low around 0-300 rpms and after a minute or two it would just die out. I have no blown fuses and the truck was running fine yesterday someone please help me out i have work tomorrow and need my truck to get to the construction site

·
Registered
480 Posts
It takes at least 30 minutes and/or 15 miles of driving for the computer to relearn the engine after a battery disonnect.

·
nicely retired
60 Posts
Maybe a replacement....

I have a 2003 toyota tundra trd edition, my battery went dead so i jumped it this morning, the truck started fine but when i got home it would idle really low. I turned it off and turned it back on and it would idle again really low around 0-300 rpms and after a minute or two it would just die out. I have no blown fuses and the truck was running fine yesterday someone please help me out i have work tomorrow and need my truck to get to the construction site
If your battery is over three years old it may not be able to hold a charge even though it will run your truck temporarily. I'd advise a replacement battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had similar problem on my 02. After giving my local mechanic a try I took it to the dealer. My problem was the throttle body needed cleaning. Truck was not getting enough air. May have been just coincidence with the battery going dead but my problem was fixed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had similar problem on my 02. After giving my local mechanic a try I took it to the dealer. My problem was the throttle body needed cleaning. Truck was not getting enough air. May have been just coincidence with the battery going dead but my problem was fixed. Hope this helps.
Sounds like the throttle body is really dirty. The computer has learned to compensate for this over time. When the battery died the computer was reset back to default and needs a while to relearn the dirty throttle body. Use some throttle body cleaner and a couple paper towels or rags. Use as little cleaner as possible. Open the butterfly and clean both sides of it and the throttle body opening itself. The computer won't have to relearn anything and you'll get some throttle response, power, and fuel economy back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Tundra and drove it back to KC from LA. Two weeks later the battery suddenly died. I had the same symptoms of low idle and the engine dying when turning or coming to a stop. After installing a new battery and running some errands (about 15 - 20 miles), the problem went away and it's running normally. I bought carb/TB cleaner, but don't think I need to do this now that it's running normally. It only has 76k.

·
13,390 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Tundra and drove it back to KC from LA. Two weeks later the battery suddenly died. I had the same symptoms of low idle and the engine dying when turning or coming to a stop. After installing a new battery and running some errands (about 15 - 20 miles), the problem went away and it's running normally. I bought carb/TB cleaner, but don't think I need to do this now that it's running normally. It only has 76k.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Yes, yer ECU had to relearn the air/fuel mixture again after a battery disconnect. Seems to be a feature of the first gen Tundra. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
BamZipPow
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing