Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tundra, Tacoma or 4runner?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  max37207 
#1 ·
New here and new to Toyota so please be gentle. I'm starting a new job that includes a company vehicle. I can have my choice of a Tundra or Tacoma. I am going to ask if a 4runner is an option. I know one employee demanded an F150 as part of negotiations to work there and got it. I guess he is a die hard Ford/anti foreign vehicle person. I've test driven all of them. The 4runner was the best ride, then the Tundra and last was Tacoma.

This job will require me to drive up to 4 hours 1 way a couple times per week on average. I will be working from my home, not ever having to go to a shop or office.

I already own an old 3/4 ton GMC Sierra that I don't plan to get rid of. I use it strictly as a truck, not a daily driver. I also have a 2017 JK Wrangler that is my daily that I will probably part with once I get the company truck.

The 4runner will fit in my attached garage. The Tacoma just barely. The Tundra will not but I also have a detached garage I could park in but I like to work on hobby projects out the including making lots of sawdust, welding and spray painting. The winters can be fairly nasty where I live so parking in the attached garage would be a plus.

What would you choose?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you company pays for gas, go with Tundra, they are gas hogs.
If not, ask for f150 3.6 Ecotech. Unfortunately, Ford is better at trucks than anyone else.
You didn't say what you will be using that vehicle for and why it's consideration between SUV and pickup. If your job requires pick up, pick up it to be.
Tacomas have rather lackluster reviews from everyone. yes, you do have a dedicated fanclub for them but not everything Toyota makes is great and F150 is simply king of the trucks. They got it figured.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am a forensic engineer doing fire investigation. The truck will be used to carry a host of hand and battery tools, meters and a collapsible or telescoping ladder and coveralls. Nothing heavy to speak of. Maybe some appliances once in a while to take to a lab. Some engineers get by using a car for this job and borrow the fire investigators ladders. I'd rather not have to rely on that though.

#9 ·
If the company is paying for everything including gas, why not go for the Tundra?

If you potentially need/want 7 seats, then I'd ask for a 4Runner.

#11 ·
everyone has their own opinion. personally i spend a lot of time on the road while driving for a limo company and i love jumping into my white tundra 1979 edition at the end of the day. but as a family car the 4runner would be the best because of the trunk being accessible from within the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.