Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another mpg thread! Since all the others here seem to be Tacoma-related, I started this separate one. I have a 2005 4x4 Tundra regular cab, they are all V-8, 5-speed auto. 87 octane is recommended and that is what I use, the V-6 benefits from premium, not the V-8. Chevron is my brand of choice, with Mobil being my second.

1st fillup, 50/50 city/hwy, 16mpg

2nd fillup, Los Angeles to Lake Isabella, A 4000 foot climb on I-5, followed by twisty mountain roads. This was loaded with a cab-over slide-in camper, approximately 1000lbs wet, plus camping gear, firewood, groceries, beer, me and the dog, probably a 1500lb load, 15mpg.

3rd fillup, return trip, 15mpg.

4th fillup, LA to Beaumont, CA round trip, easy freeway, 65-70 mph, camper still on, 17mpg.

So, the 15/18 EPA estimated gas mileage is reasonably accurate. I am actually using the truck to haul a load, and a not very aerodynamic one.

The Tundra is a replacement for a 1994 Ford F-150, 4x4, 5.0 V-8, 4-speed automatic. It got 12-13 mpg carrying the same camper. The Tundra can mantain the speed limit, even on the steep "Grapevine". I did use the "Overdrive Off" switch for the steepest parts. The Ford was gutless in at altitude.

·
Registered
44 Posts
While I only have 1500 miles on my 2005 Tundra Double Cab, I have checked it twice and was getting 18 mpg.. I only drive it highway on longer trips. I love the smoothness of the motor . I has very good power in my opinion. WarDawg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Captain_Toyota said:
You should be getting about 14 city, 18 highway.

Cap'n
I know but I am hoping that as I get some more miles on it that I wil get a little better mileage. What do you think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My '05 Tundra Double V8 got a steady 14+/18 for the first 3,000 mi. but improved to 16/20 for the last 1,000 via new dual exhaust and Trueflow filter. Bed cover is next...might squeeze another .5 on each? :thumbup:

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
You might get as much as 20 mpg highway as the miles rack up, but dont expect much more than that.
You might gain some milage with a K&N (or other similar airfilter) and performance exhaust, but I dont see you gaining much.
Cap'n

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
188 Posts
planojoe said:
My '05 Tundra Double V8 got a steady 14+/18 for the first 3,000 mi. but improved to 16/20 for the last 1,000 via new dual exhaust and Trueflow filter.
Nice, at 3.xx+/gal, that is really going to pay off pretty quick. Shoot, for the sound of true duals, I'd have done that even w/o the benifits! :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I need some help!.

I am not even getting 16 miles per gallon on my 2000 tundra.

I have a spacer on it and also a k&n filter. any other thing outthere that I can waste some money on? How about the tornado?

Gas is killing me I am spending more than $300.00 a month on my Tundra, but I refuse to leave it home.

How do I improve gas milage???????

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bigoscr said:
Well I need some help!.

I am not even getting 16 miles per gallon on my 2000 tundra.

I have a spacer on it and also a k&n filter. any other thing outthere that I can waste some money on? How about the tornado?

Gas is killing me I am spending more than $300.00 a month on my Tundra, but I refuse to leave it home.

How do I improve gas milage???????
Tornado is a big waste of $$$$.

Question. Do you have oversize tires? That is a big mileage killer on trucks because it changes gearing and adds inertia that has to be accelerated from a stop.

Another thing to check on a 2000 is spark plugs. How many miles on them? Those were just standard copper (30,000 mile) NGK's, not the 120,000 mile iridiums that come standard now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You guys must have good luck with mileage and the Tundra. Mine gets a whopping 13 city and around 15 highway. 04 Tundra doublecab,4.7, auto, and I think 4.10 gears.

Anyone know how to decipher Toyota RPO's?

·
Registered
79 Posts
nikita said:
Tornado is a big waste of $$$$.

Question. Do you have oversize tires? That is a big mileage killer on trucks because it changes gearing and adds inertia that has to be accelerated from a stop.

Another thing to check on a 2000 is spark plugs. How many miles on them? Those were just standard copper (30,000 mile) NGK's, not the 120,000 mile iridiums that come standard now.
Another thing is if you have bigger tires you should change the speedometer gear or the info you are using to calculate your mileage isn't correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have 8,500 miles on my SR5. I'm getting 13/14 city 17/18 Hwy with a ARE Z series cap on it. Was getting 15/16 city 18/19 without. CHeck Tire Press it kill milage if too low.

Zeee

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Ringmaster said:
You guys must have good luck with mileage and the Tundra. Mine gets a whopping 13 city and around 15 highway. 04 Tundra doublecab,4.7, auto, and I think 4.10 gears.
With 4.10 gears you arent going to get 20 mpg. Those gears are meant to towing and off-roading, not for gas milage.
Cap'n

·
Registered
5 Posts
My '04 V8 stepside 4WD has 20K and a new Bedlocker bed cover. I belive that that I have 4.10 rear (towing package) and noticed my highway milage with no load at 70 mph is now averaging 20.5 MPG. This summer I drove from Louisiana to Virginia with a full heavy load under the cover and averaged 18.5 MPG.

·
I am MAYHEM!
2002 Toyota Tundra
346 Posts
I get about 14-15 mpg in the city and 17-18 or so on the highway, pretty much right around EPA estimates.

2002 Tundra Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD with about 25k miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
05 Tundra DC 4 X 2 SR5 mileage

Just went over 6K miles today on my Tundra... BTW I love this truck!!!! My overall mileage is averaging 15.8 over the life of the truck... all 3 months of it. Except for one road trip from Virginia Beach to Boston the second week I've had this truck, 90% of my driving is city. If I am on the highway, for the most part, it's only for a couple of miles anyway. Those of you familiar with Va Beach know what I mean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most efficient highway speed?

Anybody have any idea what the most fuel efficient higway speed is? Is it just simply slower the better? Anyone notice a difference between 55-60 and 65-70? I'm getting ready to srive 2500 miles and would like to know where to set cruise control.

2002 Limited Xcab 4WD V8 Tundra

1 - 20 of 34 Posts