Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Gasoline engines are more efficient at torque peak, BUT wind resistance increases with the square of velocity. It takes about four times as much power to go 60 on level ground as it does 30, not just twice as much. The slowest speed at which the transmission stays in OD gear with the torque converter locked is probably going to yield the best mileage. If the engine is laboring at too low an rpm for the load, the trans will first unlock the converter clutch before it actually downshifts a gear. Converter slippage alone is worth five percent or more.

·
4.7L Iforce
Tundra & 600-R
26 Posts
Summer-time, when the fuel burns at peak efficiency, I can usually get about 400 miles to 21.3 gallons of gas.

Which averages out to 18.7 mpg.

Winter I can get about 350 out of the same amount of gas.

(21.3 is about where the fuel light comes on.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Driving to Fairbanks, AK, I ended up getting anywhere from 13-17 MPG with a passenger and a decent amount of weight in the back plus a canopy. About 300 miles were spent in 4HI. Now that I am up here, I am experiencing mostly around-town driving and constant freezing temps. Am getting b/t 10-14 MPG I believe in these conditions.

·
D1Boz
122 Posts
Drove over 800 miles this past weekend and averaged around 18mpg. I had 4 people, luggage and that was driving 80 almost the whole way there and back. :D I have a 06 DC 4X4. Not bad considering I used regular unleaded most of the time. I usually do better with premium. :wiggle:

·
Registered
12 Posts
2000 Tundra V8 TRD 4x4 - Stock NO K&N, headers or other crap. Consistently get 17 to 19 mpg combined around town and cruise at 70 on the highway. Very seldom off road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
gears

Ringmaster said:
You guys must have good luck with mileage and the Tundra. Mine gets a whopping 13 city and around 15 highway. 04 Tundra doublecab,4.7, auto, and I think 4.10 gears.

Anyone know how to decipher Toyota RPO's?
On the Tundra you have 3.91--some models show 3.92.

Toyota has always turnd similar EPA ratings as comparable Chevys even though the Chevys (in 4x4) were undoubtedly tested with the faster 3.42 axles. Toyota doesn't offer diffeerent axle ratios but seems to get similar ratins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone noticed an improvement on their Tundra gas milage as they break it in. I am getting around 16.5 which is what my 98 chevy got under the same conditions. They chevy would get 18+ on the interstate on long trips and I am hoping the Toyota will do that well or better. Only have about 1500 miles on it now and haven't yet had a chance to try it out on a long trip.

I did find a locking gas cap for my 2006 double cab at www.rockauto.com I went to www.stant.com first to look up the part number and searched the internet for it. It is Stant part number 10509. The dealer parts mad didn't think anyone made them but since Stant--as I understand--makes most of the factory caps I tried them and found the part I needed. It works perfectly and may improve my gas milage :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Madcap said:
Anybody have any idea what the most fuel efficient higway speed is? Is it just simply slower the better? Anyone notice a difference between 55-60 and 65-70? I'm getting ready to srive 2500 miles and would like to know where to set cruise control.

2002 Limited Xcab 4WD V8 Tundra
I just did a run to San Diego and back. Traffic was light enough to use cruise control (a very rare holiday situation). I set it at 75mph down and got 16.7mpg. The return leg was at 70mph and I got 18.5. 18hwy is the EPA estimate for my model. I had less than 2000 miles on the new truck.

If I had set it at 60, I would have been a rolling roadblock, even in the right lane. Please, go with the flow of traffic, if possible. That is proven (by CHP studies) to be safer than the old "slower is better" propaganda.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gas Mileage

Just reporting back I now have 9200 miles on the Tundra and gas mileage hasn't improved at all. I still get in the 13.5 to 14 mile per gallon range in the city and about 17 highway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2006 Tundra D Cab Gas Mileage

We traveled from Los Angeles to Sacramento (about 400 miles each way) and we got between 16 and 18 mpg. Speeds varied between 55 and 75. We started the trip with only 300 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'05 A/C 4WD V8

Am I the only person at 9c/11h? Even when I drive it easy on the freeway I'm lucky if I get 12.
2006 SR5 DC and I am getting 12.5 city. Very short distances. I typically don’t do much highway. As far as I know, everything is stock on here. Bought it at 145k 4 years ago, at 185k now. Was wondering if O2 sensor was going bad, but no check engine light or rough idling. So idk 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
^^^^^^^
Consider the time it takes to warm up as a percentage of the distance travelled. It may be a lazy thermostat is costing you MPG, or it just may be the trip distance just does not give you time to warm up for most of that short distance.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts