Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tundra V6

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  little a 
#1 ·
Is it possible to swap a Tundra V6 into a 93 4x4 pickup? If so, how hard is it and how much would the engine cost? I'm looking for some more pep in my truck. Also, I would be able to keep the tranny in my truck right?

#2 ·
Anything is possible, but is it worth the trouble?

But make sure you get the wiring harness and the computer to go along with the engine. Just mounting the engine is the easy part. Getting it wired will be tougher. you will have to get an expert to tell you if the transmission will work, or if you need to pull the Tacoma's tranny too. If so, you will probably need to have your drive shaft "adjusted" (shortened). You will have to also see if the Tacoma headers will fit. (I have a feeling you will need a custom set).

It's probably easier (and cheaper) to just drop in a nice little carburated Chevy 350 or a Ford 302 than to go that route, especially with the power gain you will get with the small block V8. Look for a conversion kit. There must be some out there because I've seen several Toyota trucks with Chevy power. If you really want to go wild, install an LS1.

#3 ·
Re: Anything is possible, but is it worth the trouble?

Edgeman said:
It's probably easier (and cheaper) to just drop in a nice little carburated Chevy 350 or a Ford 302 than to go that route, especially with the power gain you will get with the small block V8. Look for a conversion kit. There must be some out there because I've seen several Toyota trucks with Chevy power. If you really want to go wild, install an LS1.
do people normally retain the toyota transmission in these swaps?

little a

#4 · (Edited)
The 3.4L swap is a very sought after upgrade but it is relatively rare. Off road solutions has a conversion kit available and they are the only ones who have it at this time. If you're pretty handy with engines then you can do it without the kit. Check out this article for a swap into a 1st gen: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/projects/basham_4runner/

It's supposed to be a relatively easy swap as the 3.4L bolts up to the tranny and engine mounts of the 3.0.

Also, look into a supra swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.