Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1995 Corolla DX has about 130K miles. What do you suggest I do maintenance on? I was thinking, replace all fluids and filters.

1. Engine oil - 5W30, 5W40, 10W30, 10W40? Castrol GTX High Mileage. I am in Northern California and it doesn't get very cold in the winters(60ºF?) or hot in the summers(90ºF?).
2. Engine oil filter - Toyota OEM
3. Intake Air Filter - Toyota OEM or K&N drop in filter
4. Spark plugs - NGK V-Power BKR5EYA (.031 gap)
5. Spark plug wires - Toyota OEM or NGK RC-TE41
6. Distributor cap/rotor - Toyota OEM
7. Radiator fluid - Toyota OEM Red
8. Power steering fluid - Amsoil Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
9. Differential fluid - Amsoil Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
10. Automatic transmission fluid - Amsoil Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
11. Automatic transmission filter - Toyota OEM
12. Brake fluid - I have some old Valvoline SYNPOWER Full Synthetic DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. Is it still OK to use? I always put the cap back on after use, could moisture get into it or sitting too long cause it to not be good anymore?
13. Gas filler cap gasket - Toyota OEM. In all the owner's manuals I've seen, it always suggests replacing this. Does anyone actually replace this?

Any tips or suggestions before I do any of these? Maybe a different brand of fluid to use instead? When you flush the transmission fluid do people usually change the filter also? Should I replace the engine drive belts? Is the engine an interference engine? Any common problems with the '95 Corolla DX? Like with my other vehicle('85 Supra) the powersteering reservoir filter usually gets clogged and there's certain areas on the car that usually rust.

Is there somewhere I can download a '95 Toyota OEM Factory Repair Manual or buy besides ebay?

Is there a site to decypher VIN #? How can I find out if I have a 4AFE or 7AFE engine? How can I find out if I have a 3 or 4 speed automatic transmission?

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Your list looks pretty complete from what I see, however, a few things to note.

1. Engine oil - 10W30 should do you fine if there is any oil burning. Use 5W30 if not. There's no need for anything heavier in these small engines.

12. Brake fluid - I would suggest getting some new fluid, as it's not very expensive anyways and that way you can rule out any possibility of moisture. I used to throw out old leftover brake fluid as soon as I was finished using it to flush my system. Motul and ATE are good synthetic alternatives to use.

13. I haven't replaced mine and I haven't heard about this being done before.

The engine is non-interference. No common problems to note... as they're reliable as they come.

To decode your VIN, check out http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t81102.html

·
Registered
398 Posts
buy a trans pan gasket. Grab a few cans of brake cleaner. I do believe the trans filter is stainless steel mesh.

Drop it, spray some brake clean thru it to clean it out then bolt back up and seal up the pan. Fill with new fluids. Should be good to go.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
160 Posts
These are a few things I'd like to add.
I had these done after I bought my 1997 CE (116,500+) last August, in addition to a complete tune up.

- timing belt, tensioner, and springs
- Water pump assembly and rear hose
- Top/valve cover gasket
- crankshaft front and rear seals
- camshaft seal
- serentine belts: a/c, water pump, alternator
- Radiator hoses (top/bottom)
- thermostat

Motor mounts and brake rotors/shoes are on my to-do list.

JT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts