Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Greek....
96 Camry
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AEM EMS V.S. E-Manage V.S. SMT-6

Well ive got a tough choice ahead. The cam is gonna be a fully built 5sfte, so here in lies the question whats gonna be the best tunning device suited for a built 5sfte thats gonna be running pretty high boost. Anybody have experience with these??

·
The Greek....
96 Camry
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody...

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Uhhhhhhhh no idea.

We can tell nothing from what youve given us. What size charger? How much power? Injectors? Gonna keep the stock ignition system or going with aftermarket? Who can tune it for you?

Honestly, I dont think you are ready for a full engine build, try looking into a 3sgte swap if you want to spend money, then do bolt ons for the 3sgte. When you are ready for more power start looking at a head rebuild and get cams, then upgrade the turbo and injectors on the 3s.

Its not as simple as drop your car off, get it rebuilt, then slap an engine management system on it and go, you WILL run into problems.

redphoenix probably had the quickest turbo setup Ive seen, and it was a damn good setup, but one small miscalculation cost him.

Head over to Asheville and check out mr2guru, Harry will fill you in on what you need for either setup ok. 828-254-7297

They do great work and Ive been there several times.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
George is experienced and knows what hes doing- he works at a shop and does his own work, he will be fine... its much much cheaper to go custom turbo than to drop a 3sgte in... hes simply looking for opinions on engine managment...

george, i would talk to the guys on the mr2 boards... no one really has experience with boosting the 5sfe here reliably... try pming tony, nate, allen, and even toysrme, they will all have help and good opinions.

·
The Greek....
96 Camry
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckynumber5 said:
Uhhhhhhhh no idea.

Its not as simple as drop your car off, get it rebuilt, then slap an engine management system on it and go, you WILL run into problems.

Head over to Asheville and check out mr2guru, Harry will fill you in on what you need for either setup ok. 828-254-7297

They do great work and Ive been there several times.

No shit.. man i thought i was just gonna be able to drop a turbo in and call it done, my what was i thinking :ugh3:

All i asked for was what was a good management system to use, plain and simple, i didnt ask about swaps.

Phoenix motorsports, ive heard of them. thats probably who will do my tunning, but i dont know what they tune with.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Cool cool, you gotta understand I was under the impression you were like 97% of the people intersted in boosting the car, my bad :)

From what I have heard from a few people I know, the SMT series tuners are incredible. For the price you get a tuner that does everything an e-manage with all the options does,

I have some experience with installing and tuning an e manage blue with ignition, and injector harnesses both added on, and I was pleased at how simple the installation and configuration was, but the interface was lacking... The setup was easy enough though, just open the faceplate and set the jumpers around until it works.

I say go for the SMT, better for the money unless you find a used e manage with all the options :)

·
Simpsons fan since 89'
1993 Lexus SC300
1,618 Posts
I would shoot for an emanage or smt. I'm 99.9% probably gonna use the emange mainly becuase i got a great deal with all the options.

·
The Greek....
96 Camry
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luckynumber5 said:
Cool cool, you gotta understand I was under the impression you were like 97% of the people intersted in boosting the car, my bad :)

From what I have heard from a few people I know, the SMT series tuners are incredible. For the price you get a tuner that does everything an e-manage with all the options does,

I have some experience with installing and tuning an e manage blue with ignition, and injector harnesses both added on, and I was pleased at how simple the installation and configuration was, but the interface was lacking... The setup was easy enough though, just open the faceplate and set the jumpers around until it works.

I say go for the SMT, better for the money unless you find a used e manage with all the options :)

Word, SMT sounds pretty damn good. I hope phoenix can tune it :lol: . Ive seen the mr2's theyve built and there pretty sick :) .

·
J-ROC (JustRelyOnChrist)
2007 Toyota Corolla
20 Posts
can you guys please tell me what SMT stands for? I was looking at using a MegaSquirt system. But I don't know jack about MAF MAP or IAT setups, for my car (a 96 5sfe 2.2L camry).
thanx

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Megasquirt is an excellent system, my friend Jim has one on his v6 turbo mr2, he recommends the MS version1 board with the version 2 chip installed.

like any stand alone its a trick getting it tuned, it comes with some calculators to come up with some base tables, and the support has a pretty large crowd behind it. But you more than likely will be doing most of the work for it yourself, and if you are like me it will take you a long time to get used to how a car REALLY works behind the ECU :)

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
mrjroc83 said:
can you guys please tell me what SMT stands for? I was looking at using a MegaSquirt system. But I don't know jack about MAF MAP or IAT setups, for my car (a 96 5sfe 2.2L camry).
thanx
SMart Tuner. its Perfect Power product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts