Toyota Nation Forum banner

Turbo 23 spline t-case

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  toy283 
#1 ·
I have two of these and wondered is it worth it to hang on to it or to get ride of it, they are both in great shape and this gear driven was the strongest made for the 86-87 turbos. I also can get a hold of a turbo five speed and they are rare, dont know if i should spend the $$$, any advice? Zac

#4 ·
$500-700 for just a turbo t-case is robbery. Consider that you can buy a standard front-shift case for next to nothing (I have a dozen of them myself) and a brand-new 23-spline input from Marlin for $180. That comes to around $200-250 if you build your own. There is absolutely no other difference between the two t-cases other then the input shaft. Also considering that a turbo t-case is no good as the rear case of a dual case setup without swapping out the shift forks, there is no way I could see anyone paying that much for one. Now a turbo tranny on the other hand will routinely go for $500-1000.

#5 ·
Your all going to shoot me But I just picked up a 22RTE pickup for 100 Bones with a blown head gasket. I knew that the rear diff was a 4 pinion insted of the standard 2 pinion, but is the tranny/transfercase that much of an up grade from the stock 22R set up. And will the Clutch form my 22R work on that tranny?

#6 ·
Yes, it is a good upgrade. However, it may be unnecessary depending on the power output of your current engine and your current tranny. If you have a 22R, your power is low but so is the strength of the tranny (G52). If your engine is a 22RE, you power is a little better but your tranny is quite a bit better (W56). In the end, if you have a stock (unmodified) engine, the turbo tranny probably isn't necessary unless you want the lower fist gear ratio for 4-wheeling. Of course, if you have a bad tranny in your current truck, go ahead and swap it out for the turbo one. The clutch components are interchangeable although I believe the turbo truck used a slightly heavier flywheel. If you don't really want to swap trannies, put a feeler out for selling them (either together or separate). The t-case can usually get you $150-250 and the tranny can get anywhere from $500-1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.