1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Hatchback Corolla
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turboing my 4afe 1996 corolla. Most likely buying this kit:
https://www.turbokits.com/tsi-extreme-turbo-kit-tc2001e.html
Pretty confident Ive got my head around the process, but abit clueless about the tuning. From what ive read it seems that a 1996 corolla can only be tuned with a standalone ecu such as a megasquirt. I only plan to run low boost, 5 psi probably. I have a few questions, any help is appreciated especially from those who have experience with similar models.
  • Should I consider any engine upgrades/ replacements prior to installing the turbo
  • what else would need to be purchased that is not included in the kit
  • what other things should i consider that may need to be made such as a mount for the intercooler
  • what would be the easiest way to tune it
  • how long could i expect the whole process to take (only car I have, wont be able to drive anywhere untils its done)

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,326 Posts
Welcome to Toyota Nation!

For a 5 PSI setup with a good tune, engine upgrades shouldn't be necessary. You are correct that the factory ECU is not tunable and you'd need either a quality piggyback or a standalone, preferably the latter. But def get a professional to tune it, a bad tune will quickly make engine go boom even at such low boost.

·
Registered
1996 Hatchback Corolla
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Toyota Nation!

For a 5 PSI setup with a good tune, engine upgrades shouldn't be necessary. You are correct that the factory ECU is not tunable and you'd need either a quality piggyback or a standalone, preferably the latter. But def get a professional to tune it, a bad tune will quickly make engine go boom even at such low boost.
Could I get away with a Rising rate fuel pressure regulator (its included in the kit) instead of a tune. I know a proper tune would be much much better but could I really on a Rising rate fuel pressure regulator to atleast make shit not blow up, atleast until I get a tune.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,268 Posts
Realistically, you should look into better flowing injectors. Fuel pump upgrade and possibly a fuel rail upgrade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts