Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im interested in turboing a 5th gen 5 speed camry and i cant really find any information...

i like being different..
my last car was a 2000 saturn sl2 5 speed, and i had cams and supercharged it....but whats funny is theres so much more information out there to boost a saturn even though there is no kit whatsoever and everything is custom....even the choises for tuning was either megasquirt or safc...i used safc because i didnt have time for megasqurit..

i became interested in the camry because my mom has one. a 2004 automatic 2.4 camry.

and ive been driving it to school and thought id be pretty cool to boost one for my next car.

from what i understand it has the same engine as the tc...which has tons of aftermarket, so can i just buy a tc turbo kit and slap it on? will i need to do any modifications to make it fit? if so what?

also what about tuning? what options are out there?

please point me in the right direction.. thanks!!

·
352whp Turbo Gen5
2002 Turbo Camry
291 Posts
Hey Alex its nice to see someone trying to push the envelope with the Gen5 as I did. My first question to you is what kind of build are you looking for? Are you trying to make it a track star or an everyday driver with some power? I myself originally built my car for carshows but I just couldn't have a car that looked fast but actually wasn't. So that is why I decided to turbo it. Yes if you have the 2AZ engine it is the same as the TC but a little custom work will have to be done to make a TC turbo kit fit in the Camry. My Camry used to have 308whp at 10psi. But at the time I had really heavy 20" chrome rims which did slow me down.(TRD-VVTi you where right about the rims and I am not to big of a man to admit when I was wrong). I now have lightweight 19" Konig Unknowns which made a huge difference at the track. I beat my buddy's Corvette in the quarter mile twice at Rockingham Dragway in SC back on August 1st. Video is on our RacelinePM facebook page. Anyway I am in the process of upping the anie by rebuilding my engine so I can have 500whp or as close to it as I can get at 20psi. Boring out my block, sleeving it, 89mm forged pistons, valves, springs, rods, bearings, equal length turbo manifold,upping my injectors from 550cc to 750cc or better with a very good tune using the Greddy Emanage Ultimate Piggy Back ECU. What ever you do. DO NOT get a turbo kit that has a log style manifold. They crack at the welding points because of the uneven airflow and pressure. This project is not cheap. You will also have to add 2 inches to the intercooler piping to get it to work as well. So if you have anymore questions feel free to hit me up and I will give you advice on the do's and don'ts and if I don't have the answer I can point you in the right direction. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts