Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has been working on a Turbo V6 and finally completed it. It ran great and strong. Here are the specs.

Owner: Classified

Engine:
3' custom downpipe
3' turboback exhaust
GT35R Garrett dual ball bearing turbo with V band flange
22PSI
Turbo XS type H bov
Precision intercooler rated at 600HP
2.5 intercooler piping
550CC injectors
Apexi engine management
Custom 2.5 turbo manifold (Classified)
Stock internals

Transmission:
Stock

The car dynoed at 390WHP before the motor blew. The shop and my friend believes that the stock internals of the 2GR-FE is good for a reliable 350WHP setup.

The motor of the I4 camry, 2AZ, is also good for a 350WHP reliably.

Funny thing was, Gene's motor blew at 390WHP, same WHP that my friend w/ the V6 blew it at. Both were running Garrett dual ball bearing turbos.

Just to let the guys who are interested in boosting the V6 know the limits of the motor. BTW, the tune on my friend's car was done at a reputable and reliable shop. My friend's car is in the process of getting a new V6 engine and lowering the boost for safety reasons.

For any questions, I have enough information on the custom turbo manifold and engine management for the V6 turbo owners to get their project going. If you're serious about this, you can PM me. And thats if you are serious. Not window shopping.

This thread is to finally resolve the questions about turboing the V6, and the limits of it. Remember, if you are planning to turbo any car, THE TUNE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. You can boost up to 350WHP but if its done on a crappy shop that doesn't know how to tune, you will blow your motor/turbo. Get a reputable shop to tune your car.

Stock internals 2GR-FE:
350WHP

Stock internals 2AZ-FE
350WHP

Hope this helps and clear the air for you V6 & I4 owners.

·
i love emmanuelle chriqui
1,849 Posts
well that just sucks.. i'd rather swap 2jz-gte. probably cost more but will get more boost on stock internals..

thanks on the info paul! BTW i4 beats v6 any day! peace!

·
1,849 Posts
Thank my friend who dumped endless money to pioneer the Camry V6!
thank him for me..:clap: dude i'm still gonna get my package in 2 weeks yah?

BTW why didn't he go for lower boost first just to test how the engine will handle.?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
when he gets the motor and everything running again i would love to see and hear some vids of that car :D

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope. My friend wanted to keep everything under the covers. His car is probably the sexiest that I've ever seen a Camry done up.

Both are winners imo. Any boosted Camry is good in my books.

·
1,849 Posts
damn ya'll text each other! FOBBING up i see! not judging LOL

·
Take it easy... :-)
3,018 Posts
Thanks Paul for the great info and props to your friend of dumping that money and time into that project. Hope he can afford it.
What I am wondering is what criteria is your friend and Gene using that 350WHP would be a reliable limit? From a standard reliability standpoint, I would expect the lifetime of the engine at that output is also greatly reduced due to constant increased stress factor (would depend on the reliability model by how much). At 390WHP you simply just hit a limit for immediate catastrophic failure but it does not mean that when staying below that by some margin that no stress induced damage occurs...its just slower.

·
Not-So-New TN User
5,565 Posts
Thanks Paul for the great info and props to your friend of dumping that money and time into that project. Hope he can afford it.
What I am wondering is what criteria is your friend and Gene using that 350WHP would be a reliable limit? From a standard reliability standpoint, I would expect the lifetime of the engine at that output is also greatly reduced due to constant increased stress factor (would depend on the reliability model by how much). At 390WHP you simply just hit a limit for immediate catastrophic failure but it does not mean that when staying below that by some margin that no stress induced damage occurs...its just slower.
It's all about staying below the Stress-Strain curve :thumbsup:

·
Take it easy... :-)
3,018 Posts
It's all about staying below the Stress-Strain curve :thumbsup:
Not really - just a material dependent relationship between applied stress and experienced strain. Their is no under or over the curve. If any criteria is to be made (my guess), it should stay in a stress region below the yield point - elastic deformation only. :cool:

PS: and I think that is a static curve and probably does not apply for dynamic deformations like in our case.

·
Not-So-New TN User
5,565 Posts
Not really - just a material dependent relationship between applied stress and experienced strain. Their is no under or over the curve. If any criteria is to be made (my guess), it should stay in a stress region below the yield point - elastic deformation only. :cool:

PS: and I think that is a static curve and probably does not apply for dynamic deformations like in our case.
Concur... It is limited to the material of what failed first. We don't know how it failed as well...

PS: S-N curves cover dynamic stresses (ultimately leading to fatigue)

1 - 20 of 194 Posts
About this Discussion
193 Replies
41 Participants
Geoffrey Quijano
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing