Toyota Nation Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Thanks for the support Justin :D

Anyway, those pics of your turbo are awesome...BUT.. the money shot picture didn't show up! Gotta fix that so we can see the money shot :lol:

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Tony the Tiger said:
Thanks for the support Justin :D

Anyway, those pics of your turbo are awesome...BUT.. the money shot picture didn't show up! Gotta fix that so we can see the money shot :lol:
bro these are not my turbos ... I sell them though... The one I have is a GT30 not the GT25R...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wraith said:
Henry!!! I would like to correct you on something ... GT25 are small or about the same size as the CT26 ?!?!? would you like to see a comparison???

Heres one of my Happy customer with his twin GT25 turbos:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid25/p47dad4a6886d8440bdad1b61a63437c8/fd901c95.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid25/pdc07c8a01d87c4a1c13998a65956403f/fd901c2c.jpg.orig.jpg

Heres a line of GT25R vs CT26 vs T25 vs another GT25:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid25/p3b88652162e89f0464a23c982748de13/fd901af9.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid25/pc230a4986f13fabe697c6e0f2812e226/fd901b59.jpg.orig.jpg

as you can see in the pictures ... The CT26 dwarfts the GT25 ... by the way GT25 and the GT25R are the same turbo except for the blades and a/r housings of the turbine ....

HERE's the whole set of pics of my GT series selections...

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292050215&idx=21

last one : hehehehe "MOney Shot "

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid25/p5f9fdd6931e6e4486a41740a8702e078/fd901bd9.jpg.orig.jpg

thanks for the information and pics justin. i wasnt sure if it was much bigger or not but it still isnt as big as your turbo. it still would ahve good spool right? i know you know more about these than i do since i dont have any hands on experience with them just got some data sheets and stuff i read of the sites. but hopefully that will change soon enough within the next 2 years. ahah

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tony, you said...

"I don't see the benefits of running a twin turbo either -- twice more headaches, twice more work, but not twice the performance. It might spool up a lot quicker, but I am pretty happy where my turbo starts spooling now... "

If you ran 2 T-25s, they would not spool up as quickly as yours does now. If you claim your turbo gets full boost (7psi) at only 1500rpm, when the heck does your turbo 'start' to spool? "I am pretty happy where my turbo starts spooling now... " As far as turbocharging is concerned, you have NO lag at all.

I can understand that you must be estatic about your turbo install, heck I would be too but don't be too surprised if the dyno numbers are not what you project. I don't know what you have done to your motor since someone mentioned it wasn't stock so I can't say... You are using a small turbo and not to mention you have an auto tranny so both will affect peak whp numbers.

In any case, good luck and keep us informed! It's not everyday you see a turbo Camry!

Cheers!

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
SE V6 said:
If you ran 2 T-25s, they would not spool up as quickly as yours does now. If you claim your turbo gets full boost (7psi) at only 1500rpm, when the heck does your turbo 'start' to spool? "I am pretty happy where my turbo starts spooling now... " As far as turbocharging is concerned, you have NO lag at all.

I can understand that you must be estatic about your turbo install, heck I would be too but don't be too surprised if the dyno numbers are not what you project. I don't know what you have done to your motor since someone mentioned it wasn't stock so I can't say... You are using a small turbo and not to mention you have an auto tranny so both will affect peak whp numbers.
The peak numbers shouldn't be anywhere short of a 7M-GTE Supra would get at the same boost level. The numbers I have on my website were simply numbers I have taken off the MKIII website of Supras with basic performance upgrades at 12 psi of boost (345 hp). You guys have to quit talking about how much power I will make, or if I will make lesser than those hp numbers on my website, or if my motor will blow up, whatever, yada yada yada... There are already 6+ posts about that already and I am getting tired of answering these inconclusive questions. I have not claimed those HP numbers, and they were simply numbers that were used as specifications for the CT-26. The turbo on the older Supras were designed to fully spool at around 3K RPM, but that's with 8.4:1 CR, same displacement and an aweful stock exhaust system. Compare to my motor, it has 10.5+:1CR, mandrel-bent exhaust and IC piping all around and a custom IC with very little pressure drop. I was surprised how early my turbo spooled despite the fact that the turbo is pretty far away from the exhaust manifold. Peak numbers should be either the same (convervative guess), if not, better (reasonable estimate) in my 1MZ-FE with a built automatic. The turbo is very correctly sized because I have 0% pressure drop. (solid 10 all the way to redline).

The best thing is that I don't need to run a non-intercooled TRD supercharger. The numbers that a supercharger can produce, I can make more for sure; I can also run much than 7 psi of boost with ease and do so safely (currently at 10psi) -- and no, I don't get 10 psi at 1500RPM, so that gives you the need to run twin turbos and become superior....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tony, my post wasn't meant to stress you out. I can understand your frustration as Jzs147-RR went through the same thing. When I mentioned full boost at 1500rpm, I put 7psi in brackets not 10psi and the hp #'s I was discussing was the stated 260-280whp you or someone else mentioned. I know you already explained the 345hp on your site was taken from an MKIII Supra as an example. So no worries there...

Anyhow, keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
oy love the car!!! tho still... another question: can a car be twin supercharged? or quad, in that matter? i heard that it is possible, but the engine may not be able to handle the quad, which is kinda obvious :lol:

·
it was all a dream
4,204 Posts
K-Oss said:
oy love the car!!! tho still... another question: can a car be twin supercharged? or quad, in that matter? i heard that it is possible, but the engine may not be able to handle the quad, which is kinda obvious :lol:
holy shit... the man just turbocharged his V6, which many people claimed was either mechanically or financially impossible for the normal camry owner..

now instead of asking intelligent questions, you go off on tangents asking about twincharging and fucking quad-charging :hammer: !! two weeks from now someone is gonna post something along the lines of "hey, anyone know what i need to turbo my camry?" and most people will give a referral to either ask Tony himself or will a deadend answer like "dont bother" or "it costs too much".

how bout we try to educate ourselfs on the current accomplishments of fellow owners instead of changing the topic and asking foolish questions.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
First off I was in awe to see a turbo in a 1MZ, and for the fact that full boost at 1500rpm just amazed me once again.

And I think everyone should just chill out for the fact that yes it's possible to do a turbo but by discovering that possibility doesn't prove a pig can fly.

So instead of causing a flame war, we should praise Tony like god and send him cookies for Christmas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hrm... ok

DUDE!!!!!!!

really, tho, that is one of the nicest camrys ive ever seen. for one thing, its not just rims, ground effects, and cut emblems. its freakin TURBOCHARGED!!!! and yes, a turbo camry is nearly impossible to do...

well tony, congrats. happy holidays. and keep that car in one piece!!! hehe

·
Registered
55 Posts
HOLY SH!T!!!! hrm... i meant quad super, but hey, this is pretty cool too...

what car (or truck, or semi) uses that?!?!?!

ah nvm the question... thnx for the pic!

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
toyrolla said:
Tony: Cool, I'll look for the information. There's nothing wrong with turbocharging a Camry. I'm still blueprinting my own.

Jwa276: Sorry if I seemed negative. Wouldn't want to imply any negativity. I misread the post; error on my past. Please flog me swiftly and let's get it over with. :lol:
flogged... what a great word lol. its cool man, dont think twice about it :)

to stay on topic, what kind of turbo would be the best for a v6 camry? t3/04 hybrid??

jon

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I usually see boost whenever I mash the gas... having a high stall torque converter makes the RPM jump to 3000RPM (stall @3200 RPM) whenever I go more than 50% throttle. So no matter what RPM I am at, it will always be greater than 3000RPM if I go deep on the throttle; if I go more on the throttle, it would then downshift into a lower gear and rip to redline :D Basically, the only way I could find out if I was making boost below 3000RPM was to let the car go into overdrive and try to get as much throttle before the tranny downshits. I have noticed that I get 2-3 lbs around 1500RPM and full stock boost (7psi) slighty above that (sometimes changes though due to weather, temp of the car etc)... I get full 10 lbs of boost above 2500RPM.

A lot of you guys can tackle this turbo project yourself... as long as you are a DIY type of person and has experience working with engines/servicing cars, etc... and have good knowledge in turbos, I am sure it's possible. The whole project costed be about $2200 plus some odds and ends... usually in these turbo projects, it's the labour that drives the price sky rocket... the more work you do yourself, the cheaper it becomes!

By the way Ratko, thanks for keeping this topic serious and less of the junk...greatly appreciated.

By the way, here's a real turbo:

Passenger Seat Mounted Intercooler (PSMIC):

ROFL...

·
Registered
55 Posts
holy shit... that kinda takes the purpose out of the car: to be a mode of transportation from point A to point B COMFORTABLY... eh thats that guys loss, not ours

G

·
K-Oss said:
holy sh*t... that kinda takes the purpose out of the car: to be a mode of transportation from point A to point B COMFORTABLY... eh thats that guys loss, not ours
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Same with any engine bigger than an i4, and any mods anyone might do those engines

61 - 80 of 94 Posts