Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions !!!, i'm planing to turbo charge my 4AF engine would it be ok to use the standard carburator, if so how much PSI would be safe for it ? i'm only planning to run 3 psi for now would that be ok? is there anyone here who have done it before? :confused:

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
well if you make a pressure box around the carb you could run as much as you basically want, but its the pistons and connecting rods that are gonna be the bottleneck.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
pressure box is a box built around the car, that equilizes the pressure around the carb so that the throttle shaft wont leak out pressure and that the float chamber get the same pressure.
If you dont pressurize the carbs, it wont work, fuel will just back out and leak out from the float chamber.

I'd say 5psi can be done, I'd keep the limit at 8 or 9psi with the stock parts.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info flashmn. i know for sure now i'm going turbo my car. but i need some more info on it so please guys i need the info.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If a turbo is oil and water cooled would it be ok to just oil cool it and leave the water cool part out, or i must attach the water line and oil line.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think the radiator can with stand heat from the turbo? And 9.5:1 is a good compression to turbocharge or is that to high?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
For low boost the 9.5:1 wouldnt be that bad.. but the problem is the smaller connecting rods in the 4A-F, I would swap to lower compression pistons.

Do you think the radiator can with stand heat from the turbo?
No experience, but a 2 row radiator wouldnt make things any worse.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way what is manifactors specs on 4AF cylinder pressure. how much is it suppose to be?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts