Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im looking at buying an old 87 Toyota pickup from my neighbor, and he wants $1500 for it. I asked him what it had in it and stuff, and he told me a story about how it was in a small fire and so they replaced the engine with a 22R turbo engine, and thats what its had in it since and ran fine. But the weird part he told me was that the turbo engine currently had no turbo installed in it. I thought you couldnt even drive a turbo engine without a turbo in it, but yet I see him drive it almost everyday. Do you think its worth it?
Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
You can run a turbo engine without the turbo. It would need a regular non turbo exhaust manifold & the cooling/oil lines if it has any would need to by bypassed. It will also be low on power since turbo engines normally have lower compression. I would test drive it & see how it runs/drives.

·
Registered
91 4x4 extracab
608 Posts
turbocharged engines also have hardened pistons or they will have a special steel ring built into the top ring land just above the first compression ring. i have overhauled diesel and gas engines and ran them without the turbos that normally in this particular engine about 30 hp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.