Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go. I have a 1997 Toyota RAV4. For quite some time I've been trying to turbo my engine. But like always, something comes up that made me change plans. I guess may here are familiar with that.

I was given a Turbo some time ago and never gave it much mind. But looking at it. It resulted to be from a Mercedes Benz Diesel. Its a 300 SD Serie W116 OM617.950. Yes, very old. Buy hay, I just want to crews and have a good time round town. An occupational Solo 1 and TSD Rally. Oh yes, its takes me to and from work everyday. What I got already besides the turbo. Apexi NEO Piggy back, Inter-cooler, Manifold, BOV, Wastegate, and some other goodies. T3 Compressor 42/60, Turbine 42/63. Besides getting another turbo, can anyone give any advice for better performance. Hell, I don't even know if it going to work. It looks in good condition and I've never used it.
here
here
here

OK, I might have some errors in reading but I like to read

I hope you can help me out. Will it work?

BTW, I have the 3SFE engine, (1998cc), 4 door, 5 speed, FWD.

·
Senior TN Member
7,508 Posts
That's really popular turbo with junkyard turbo fans. Should be good for +200bhp.

Engine-management is the key to making this work. Don't use piggyback,you need to be able to program fuel and ignition independently.

I recommend Megasquirt. Download someone else's 3S-GTE map to get you started

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you successfully turbo your Rav4 be sure to report back. My Camry will remain NA, but I'm curious to know about turbo setups.

·
Senior TN Member
7,508 Posts
Well, regarding Engine management. I got an Apexi NEO with a AEM Wide O2 sensor.:|
The main goal with tuning turbo engine is to adjust fuel and ignition separately and independently. How will you make the following adjustments?

1. 25-50% throttle and 2500-4000rpms, increase ignition +2-degrees, without changing fuel
2. 50-75% throttle and 3500-4500rpms, decrease ignition -3-degrees, without changing fuel
3. 75-100% throttle and 4000-6500rpms, decrease ignition -6-degrees, without changing fuel

Ignition is more important than fuel as it will be difference between powerful and durable engine lasting 10-years versus powerful and delicate engine that'll blow-up every 3-months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts