Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a 2000 celica gt, it alread has an exhaust system but idk what brand and im thinking about putting a turbo in it... but idk becasue it is an automatic. I just want ot know if i can buy it and if i can what other parts would i need to get the best performance out of it.. plz reply thanks.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
So i bought a 2000 celica gt, it alread has an exhaust system but idk what brand and im thinking about putting a turbo in it... but idk becasue it is an automatic. I just want ot know if i can buy it and if i can what other parts would i need to get the best performance out of it.. plz reply thanks.
Which engine does it have?

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up. The GT has the 1ZZFE.
They can be turbo'ed. It'll run you about $4500.00 to do it right and give you about another 100hp.
Having an auotmatic will limit the HP you can apply to it. I would go with a manual tranny .

You will Have to decide how much HP you want and then buy the right size trim turbo.
Besides that you will need:
Oil feed line
Oil Return Line
Tap your oil pan for oil return
Source an oil supply(a sandwich between the oil filter and block is easy)
Coolant feed lines
Coolant return lines
Coolant source
Turbo exhaust manifold
DownPipe
Wastegate -if it's not internally gated
Wastegate actuator
Intercooler
Intercooler piping, couplers and T Clamps
Intercooler fan
Boost controller of some type-either manual or electronic
Boost gauge
Additional fuel via larger injectors, higher capacity fuel pump and possibly a new fuel rail if the stock one won't accept larger injectors.
And some type of Engine management, whether its a tuned ECU or stand alone.

Oh and welcome to ToyotaNation!

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Hit up Monkey Wrench Racing. They specialize in forced induction applications for the 1ZZ-FE.

You'll have to contact them about the limitations in regards to how much hp the stock automatic transmission can hold.

You might have to get that built up as well depending on your goals. Contact Level 10.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which engine does it have?

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up. The GT has the 1ZZFE.
They can be turbo'ed. It'll run you about $4500.00 to do it right and give you about another 100hp.
Having an auotmatic will limit the HP you can apply to it. I would go with a manual tranny .

You will Have to decide how much HP you want and then buy the right size trim turbo.
Besides that you will need:
Oil feed line
Oil Return Line
Tap your oil pan for oil return
Source an oil supply(a sandwich between the oil filter and block is easy)
Coolant feed lines
Coolant return lines
Coolant source
Turbo exhaust manifold
DownPipe
Wastegate -if it's not internally gated
Wastegate actuator
Intercooler
Intercooler piping, couplers and T Clamps
Intercooler fan
Boost controller of some type-either manual or electronic
Boost gauge
Additional fuel via larger injectors, higher capacity fuel pump and possibly a new fuel rail if the stock one won't accept larger injectors.
And some type of Engine management, whether its a tuned ECU or stand alone.

Oh and welcome to ToyotaNation!
I thought the engine it had was a vvt-i engine?
You also said that all of that list would run $4,500?

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
I thought the engine it had was a vvt-i engine?
You also said that all of that list would run $4,500?
to @MR2JEDI
The 1ZZ IS a VVT-i.

Approximately, if you shop around, and do the work yourself.
Like PhatRoyale suggested, checkout Monkeywrenchracing.
I haven't been to their site since I got rid of my MR2 Spyder, but they actually have a turbo kit for $3,995.00, but it doesn't include engine management or fuel injectors.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
ok so what i would like to know now is if i would be wasting time and money becasue its an automaic.
I would 1st find out what the HP and Torque limitations are on your auto tranny.
Surely, it can take another at least 60 HP, to bring the car up to 200 horse -maybe more.You can always go with a smaller turbo or keep the boost down.
It would be a kick to drive. :burnout:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
damn i couldn't find it or i just dont know what im looking for, all im finding are specs about the GT-S.. it sucks. idk if i should just chill, this is my first car and my dream car is a 1.5 jz tt 1997 supra... so maybe i should save up for that car instead haha. i mean i have fun with it now, it not bad it kicks in pretty good, but at times it feels like i get no power? so what shouldi do about that? air filter? spark plugs? sludge?
@MR2JEDI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts