Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im getting to the line here. either way has pros/cons of the setup.

turbo: power at hand as you go, but we all know how the 5sfe head loves boost.

n/a: ability to make some descent power, not have to fix it all the damn time, and dont have to worries.

whats your opinion ? fi or na?

agian this will be only around 200 hp.

reason i am asking is because i am looking into headwork and ITB setup , exhaust, etc..

thanx

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
I like NA for the simplicity and ease of use as an everyday driver. but its much harder to gain hp without the turbo. Turbo's are nice, but require too much maintance and work for my taste.

But i suspect you will not be able to hit 200 without forced induction. hell, most people dont get to 200hp with forced induction.

it takes a lot to push an engine to produce the extra 70hp or so you need to get to 200.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
^ Agreed.
But normal aspirated tweaking is time consuming plus lots of downtime. I have a V6 and aiming for 200+ with drivability.
An I4 hitting 200? Smells like money is the issue.

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
NA is only good for mild applications... Intake, header, exhaust, port work, etc... Simple NA mods will be perfectly reliable, but of course, the gains are minimal.

Eventually, you will hit a dead end and the engine needs to be built -- high compression pistons, rods, new engine management, etc...

At that point, you will be wondering why you would want to keep NA. With a built motor and good management, it can handle boost safely anyways, so why nother going NA route. It's better to get lower compression pistons and forged rods instead.

Let's say you opted for NA, you will need pretty aggressive cams and built valvetrain to push up to 200HP and a higher redline. Huge cams narrows down your powerband greatly, and you will have no hope in passing emissions nor getting any good fuel economy for daily driving.

I must say, the Rippmods Supercharger kit is the best upgrade for less-mechanically-inclined people :)

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
If you want 200hp with the 5sfe, going with a turbo setup will make it SO much easier. With that said, I am going for 200hp NA with a JDM 3sfe so mayeb I am a hypocrite. It will guaranteed cost me a lot more to reach my goals with this engine by staying NA than it would if I hd just decided to turbo it. I personally just don't care, I like NA performance.

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
ryanmartini said:
reason i am asking is because i am looking into headwork and ITB setup , exhaust, etc..

thanx
man, that ITB setup is gonna cost an arm and a leg!!! instead of that you could turbocharge and be at 250hp!! i know reliability is your main issue- but for $$$$ reasons it seems to me that one definitely gets a better bang for their buck by boosting it.

jon

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
2wickedtoyz said:
why not just purchase a 3sgte? then you'll be closer to your goal.
good call. swapping for a stock 3sgte is going to cost less than building up an n/a 5sfe, and you will already be over your goal of 200hp.

and PLUS.... you'll be able to say, "sorry man, you just got totally PWN3D by my 4cyl camry" :lol:

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
thanks i just figured it would be alot easier than everything else. if i had a 4cyl camry when my engine went that would have been what i would have went for but i have a v6 so i'm sticking with that.

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
the turbo is prolly gonna cost less and your gonna get more of a hp boost for your money

·
Registered
785 Posts
i would personaly rebuild my engine with forged alumminum/steel parts. it would be far more reliable, and if i wanted to install a turbo in there, i could give it higher psi than the stock engine parts.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
hmmm 3sgte swap looks realllllllly nice. would u guys help me get some info to do research ? that would be fun as all get out =D

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
I don't think it's as hard to make high hp numbers with an na 5sfe as people like to think... the fact is though, price vs performance, fi wins.

You'll spend 1k on billet rods (I've been quoted on crower rods for a 5sfe), $570 for forged pistons (I've again been quoted on ross pistons), and cams will have to be custom made unless you want to use webcams regrinds.

You could opt for a 3sge head or build the 5sfe head, either way, you'll need to put some work into it.

Cutting down drivetrain loss would be a huge benefit in getting 200whp, so I'd suggest building your tranny and trying to lighten the load on your crank by dumping some accessories. You can use an electric waterpump, get an underdrive pulley and have a harmonic balancer fabbed. That should put things into the relm of realism, but then again, as I said before, this isn't a cheap project.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think im aiming for a 3sgte now, better investment in the long run.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts