Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive posted this in the tercel section, but just thought i might get a better response in the tech section

k, well ive been reading up on my turbo( mitsu 14b) and i have a few question for u gurus out there.

1. i know that the oil feed line comes from the bottom of the oil pan, but where does the return line go to???

2. i also have 2 coolant lines ( feed and return) now how would i go about running the lines for these???

3. ill be gettin a front mount intercooler in the mail soon, but when i run the pipes, where/ how will i put the temp sensor in the air intake??? if i put the temp sensor in its stock location..( which would be in the hard pipe from the intercooler) it would read the temp to cold and throw a c.e.l.???

4. ive heard of people grindin down there stock pistons to lower compression, but wont this weak the piston signifactly??

any help will be much apprenticed

Darren

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
1. i know that the oil feed line comes from the bottom of the oil pan, but where does the return line go to???
Actually the oilfeed comes usually off the block, and the one that goes to the oilpan is the returnline.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
deftones9256 said:

As stated, the return is usually a -10an bung welded into the pan. Feed can be from a spin on adapter at the filter, or any other high pressure soure such as an oil pressure sending unit. A simple T will usually suffice.

2. i also have 2 coolant lines ( feed and return) now how would i go about running the lines for these???
You can run with or without. To run with, you need to tap a point soon after the waterpump to get the flow going, and the return would then be plumbed back in pre waterpump. How you do that is your mess :). Alternatively, plug the water feed and drain and invest in a turbo timer.

3. ill be gettin a front mount intercooler in the mail soon, but when i run the pipes, where/ how will i put the temp sensor in the air intake??? if i put the temp sensor in its stock location..( which would be in the hard pipe from the intercooler) it would read the temp to cold and throw a c.e.l.???
Place all AFM and other electronics pre turbo. They often don't respond well under/to boost. After also gives you another point at which pressure can leak...

4. ive heard of people grindin down there stock pistons to lower compression, but wont this weak the piston signifactly??
Some pistons can be "dished", meaning a machine shop professionally cuts a new profile with a lathe or CNC type device. You're likely cheaper and safer off to purchase pistons made to order. Plenty of shops that will get them for you. Whatever you do, don't take out the dremel. You'll never get them to match, and will create edges that will promote the detonation you are trying to eliminate by lowering compression in the first place.

any help will be much apprenticed

Darren
Can't help with the apprenticing :)

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
word guyz, thanks alot for the help... ive ask like 12 people about this stuff and all i get is ... i dont know!!! that all makes perfect sense now... so a turbo timer would be ezier/better then the water lines???? also i can get a set of low compression pistons for 200 shipped, but someone told be it would be cheaper to get a machine shop to grind down the stock pistons...
so all i need now to get this runnin is some oil lines, intercooler plumming, and bov... i also have an oil cooler that mounts next to the intercooler, so i should stay kinda cool

thanks guyz

Darren

·
Registered
729 Posts
i got some questions too....

on v6's how many pcv valves are thier?? i know thats there is one on the back bank and think i found another in the front comming from the spark plug cover. ive heard that if you pressure going in, you will lose power and burn lotsa oil

what should be done

also what about the IAC valve, wont having it post turbo mess up your idle??

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
PCV. The draw point has to be pre turbo. Pressurize the crankcase and you have all sorts of new issues. Simply run a new line to near, though after, the air flow meter.

Idle stabilizer. Draw post turbo, near the throttle plate. The pressure will relatively stabilize on both sides under boost and avoids blowing huge air through it. Alternatively, get a 1 way valve between the stabilizer and the manifold the way most turbo cars are from the factory. Then you can draw pre turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts