Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what rpm does the turbo in a 88 turbo normally start spooling. also can you normally hear the blow off and hear the turbo spool

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ Not to mention kill any decent fuel economy and decent A/F Ratio's you already had.

If you can hear your stock BOV.... it's probably venting into the atmosphere.... which probably isn't good (i know it's bad on MR2's w/ a CT26). You shouldn't NEED a bov unless you are pushing some decent boost.

The way it works on the MR2 if you remove the recirculation stuff from the stock bov is this. When your bov/bpv blows off air... it is recircing the air before the turbo... and thus injecting extra fuel to match the extra air going in. So... unless you have an EMS or something of that sort.... you're A/F will be screwed up. Not to mention the stock bpv will suck in unfiltered air.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Aftermarket BOV's have the same thing on the supra as the MR2 suffer. Blow off, rich, and we have a habit of stalling out from time to time when coming to a stop under those conditions. Some piggy back fuel computers say they compensate, but not for our more sophisticated Karman-Vortech setup. One needs to completely replace the ECU to get around it entirely, or a MAP sensor based conversion like the older and discontinued HKS VPC.

Bob

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Ya.... you really don't need one unless you are going to make some serious power. You can pretty much do without it until you get up in the big numbers.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
We can get safely, though crudely, deep into the 400's with piggy backs and a little hack. Beyond that, EMS is IMO the only proper, and safe, choice.

Bob

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok sounds good to me. i was just wantin to hear my turbo a bit better. im still new to the supra and turbo setup seeing as how i just finally got the car yesterday. thank sfor all of yalls information.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
To hear it better, get a K&N FIPK on there. You will hear the turbo spool, and with the windows down, the bypass valve release (just a rush of air however...no special sound).

BOb

·
Registered
155 Posts
:woowoo: That and a whistle tip on your 3" exhaust so you can wakes dem peepsle up so theys can be cookin sum brehkfust.
WooWhoooo

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol i still cant believe tht is real. actually i couldnt live with one of those bc sometimes i have to creep. and if im tryin to make a getaway ... i thin ktht will be pretty noticable

1 - 14 of 14 Posts