Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Live to Win!
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wandering what sort of extras are needed (guages, timing, etc.) when installing a turbo and about how much time it took for the entire project to be completed.

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Search. General questions are covered alot, and once you've read up on some stuff, THEN you should post specific questions.

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
what he said^^^^^^^^^

if you have all the stuff you need i.e. tools, know how... it shouldnt take long.. well if no problems come up

i seen poeple do it on other cars in as little as 8-10 hours.. one shot

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
Guys it sounds like he does not know what to search for. If I came on here and asked if a 3sgte manifold would fit on a 5sfe yeah, go tell me to search. But even the turbo thread thats stickied has several pages of BS posts in it and its confusing to read through so much.

Paintedtrain, if the car you are wanting to turbo is your daily driver, consider getting another car first thing. For a beginner unless you are VERY mechanically inclined from the get go, it will take you several weeks to get the car running again unless you spend gobs of money to pre-mock the turbo parts.

You can turbo a CAmry in a weekend, but you damn well have to know what your are doing. It doesnt just come down to picking up a turbo and manifold and oblting that on. You need:

good working turbo
quality manifold
you need to run oil into the turbo and back into the oil pan
fuel management (injectors depending on how much power you want, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump)
TUNING!!! this is where most people fall over when they realize exactly what this means.

The Toyota ECUs are not hackable right now, you cannot just use the stock ECU and some other form of fuel management and expect nice gains. Its possible to play with the distributor and crank the fuel pressure up to support a little boost, but then you have no control over your ignition timing advance or your fuel curve.

You will need at least a piggyback that can control injectors pulse width, change the map sensor output, and control ignition timing

So you are looking at: E-manage with ignition and fuel harness, or an SMT series tuner. There are other but I cannot recommend them. GO on ebay and look at e-manage prices, theres not enough of a difference between the blue and gold in my opinion to warrant the extra money, but its up to you.

You will need to attach an intercooler to the front end to support more than small gains on the stock engine, and you will need to run pipe through all this into the throttle body.

Look into water injection for sure, I will be installing water/alcohol injection on my Grand Prix in a few weeks because its so freaking awesome with boost! It gives you a huge safety margin with a well tuned engine and you can max out a Toyota CT series turbo with a great tune and water injection.

You and anyone else reading this need to check out homemadeturbo.com and read through as many posts as possible, look at the pictures and start learning how other cars run their oil lines, coolant lines, intercooler piping, and do their tuning.

Happy turboing :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
^^^ What he said, but if your really hard core about doing it, and not having somone do it for you look at the top of the Camry General Discussion, there is a sticky How to turbo the 5sfe, take a look at that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts