Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into buying an MKIII Supra, and have run across quite a few non turbo 5speed targa's at really good prices.. where as the turbo's seem to be alot higher priced. If I was to buy an MKIII w/ a 7MGE .. would it be difficult to Turbocharge it? or would it be easier/cheaper to drop in a 7MGTE. Also, considering the cam is different in the 7MGE and the compression is much higher, if i was to turbocharge the 7MGE wouldn't it outperform a stock 7MGTE by quite a bit?? Also, i'm sure the non-turbo VIN will decrease my insurance quite a bit :D Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,632 Posts
In order:

Difficulty - depends on knowledge...could be easy to turbo, or tough.

expensive, yes. Will cost more than the difference in price to buy the turbo over the NA. Dropping in the 7M-GTE will cost more still.

Compression - would result in better performance at stock. Will not take much more boost before detonation. I'd be surprised on a tired engine if you could cross fuel cut, and a GTE can just turn up the boost to keep up...

Insurance - yes, better. Not a lot better though...phone your insurer, either classes as a sports car.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot, i've already reconsidered and decided i'm going to just find a targa 5speed turbo mkIII someplace :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
supercharge a n/a and run with 5 psi boost run up to about 250- 275 hp depending on mods. or got with n/a-t and run with like 5 psi and get like 250 it's not that hard or expensive but good luck smogging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts