Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
gsus
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, I'm looking into turbocharging my future engine for my MR2. I'm looking to get about 230-250 rwhp, which i think can be easily attained with the supra ct-26 on the stock internals. I figure that while i have the custom exhaust made i might aswell throw the turbo in there, to save me the trouble of having to have the exhaust redone for a turbo later on down the road. i'm just wondering how difficult this task will be once the turbo is set in place on the exhaust side.

is it turboing the 3vz similar to boosting the 5s-fe with stock turbo components. obviously the piping would be different.

i had a list of the stuff needed for a 5s-fte, so here is a modded list of what (i think) would apply to the v6 (for about 250rwhp)...
turbo 7m-gte ct-26
stock headers
custom y-pipe for turbo
custom Exhaust (obviously :))
custom turbo Piping
oil pan fitting for oil return
intercooler
Blow Off Valve (doesnt matter if its oem now right?)
Boost Contoller
Boost Guage
Air/Fuel Ratio Guage
adjustable FPR (any perticular kind?)
safc2 (allready have one)
Injectors?
map sensor? supra afm?
MSD-BTM #5462?
is there anything else in there that i would need or wont need?

in case i'm not being clear... what i'm basically asking is, what parts are needed to make a running turbo v6?

·
The Other White Meat
3,741 Posts
maybe something a tiny bit bigger then a single ct26.....

are you gotta remote mount the turbo in the boot? theres not much room...

get a perfectpower SMT-6 and forgo the safc/msd

cant do much about the afm, unless you go full standalone, the afm is the biggest of the ones that are made already.

·
gsus
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
terrastrife said:
maybe something a tiny bit bigger then a single ct26.....

are you gotta remote mount the turbo in the boot? theres not much room...

get a perfectpower SMT-6 and forgo the safc/msd

cant do much about the afm, unless you go full standalone, the afm is the biggest of the ones that are made already.
thanks for the input,

i'm curios on why you suggest something a bit bigger than a ct26 for my power goal? did you have a different turbo in mind that would get me to my goal?

I plan on mounting the turbo above the tranny like Node has done with his 3.4L v6 powered mr2. is there any reason that you guys can think of why this would not work?

that's funny, that's the second time i've heard that, what's wrong with the safc2 that the smt-6 can doe?

also, how did my parts list look? is there something on there that i missed or wont need at all (aside from the safc2 i guess... maybe i'll sell it, if it's really all that bad.)

·
I'm a Mac
4,062 Posts
really my power goals werent a question... i just wanted to turbo the car. if i had kept with that chassis, i would have shot for 300whp. thats what i will be looking for when i swap everything into the coupe, but i wanted to have some fun with the 5sfe first.

my engine actually didnt go bad. i had an oil leak and i couldnt locate the source. then i ripped apart the motor thinking it was a head gasket, but it wasnt. ended up finding the leak in a stupid spot that i temporarily fixed before. so i had a brand new shortblock in the basement, and decided i'd just leave it apart and build up the new shortblock. i got the new chassis, because my wiring was so fucked up after years of working on it, and it was tough to tell how everything was wired up, since it changed so much. so i figured i'd start from scratch.

i cannot provide a list of what exactly is needed since i didnt use the 3vz, it would be a little different with the distributor and i think the injectors are low impedence on 3vz. i could be wrong though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
heyzeus2003
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing