Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve located the turn signal flasher. I got it off it’s bracket but I can’t get it unplugged. I don’t want to break anything. I don’t see or feel the usual tabs or levers that one usually sees on a harness connector (I.e. nothing I can squeeze or lift to release the connector from the flasher.) Do I just need to pull harder or is there a trick to this connector that someone can tell me about?

oh… my truck is a 1998 ExtraCab 4WD SR5 automatic 3.4L, in case it matters.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post a pic?
I tried to get all four sides and an endshot of the connector. That said, there isn’t much room up under the dash for my hand to hold the relay and a clear shot of the relay. There isn’t much freedom in the short little section of wiring harness it’s on, either, so that further restricted my options. Ok. With those disclaimers out of the way, let’s proceed to the pictures.

First shot:
Gadget Bumper Office equipment Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory

Then rotated ~45 degrees on the long axis:
Gesture Finger Eyewear Nail Gadget

Then rotated another 90 degrees…

Finger Gadget Data storage device Communication Device Font

Then rotated another 90 degrees:
Watch Fluid Font Gadget Clock

Finally, an attempted endshot:
Material property Electric blue Cable Wire Electrical wiring

Forgive the red mud… I needed a new steering shaft seal back when I pressure washed my truck after my first off-road adventure ended like this:
Water Plant Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Plant Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. I got it out by resigning myself to destroying it and prying it open via small screwdrivers…

CONCLUSION: The only mechanism holding the wiring harness connector onto the turn signal flasher/relay is friction between the plastic harness connector and the close fit of the plastic relay housing and friction between the metal male/female terminals.

In my case, dirt on all these surfaces from having splashed it all with muddy water a few years ago made removal impossible with “normal” forces forthis sort of thing.

For those interested in seeing these things, please see the following Images of both sides of these parts after finally I finally got them apart.

Finger Gas Bumper Automotive lighting Rectangle

Finger Automotive lighting Rectangle Natural material Gas

Rectangle Finger Gas Automotive lighting Bumper

Finger Material property Thumb Gas Electric blue

Finger Gesture Thumb Rectangle Jewellery

Camera accessory Finger Gas Thumb Gadget

Hand Camera accessory Finger Camera lens Thumb

Camera accessory Finger Thumb Nail Font

Gas Fluid Font Ac adapter Electronic device

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finger Nail Thumb Plastic Natural material

Finger Plastic Nail Comfort food Carmine

Wood Plastic Metal Toy Art

The little tabs you see on the sides here are retaining the female terminals in this male connector and don’t do anything to hold the male connector into the female portion of the relay.

Now that’s onethread wrapped up conclusively… I am headed back out to the driveway now to see about resolving that whole “dash light ground fault” problem!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't appear you did any damage.
All in all it doesn't look to bad. Do you have the replacement for it yet?
As a matter of fact, I do! Finding my ground faults turned into general electrical housekeeping… so I ordered a lot of exterior bulbs and an LED flasher from superbrightleds.com

Font Packing materials Shipping box Material property Rectangle

·
Registered
1998 T100 SR5 4WD
170 Posts
For what it’s worth, mine was the same experience. But I didn’t care much knowing I’d never be using the OEM relay again since I have no intentions of going back to incandescent bulbs. OEM relay got trashed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts