Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kk im think of opening a import company from here to poland..

and i wanted to know how hard it is to turn a normal v8 gmc pickup into propane powered?

i know the basics, but wats involved and how dose it work?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
I dunno, but lots of the Crown Vic taxis running around in the T-dot run on Propane.

Apparently, I heard one of the hazards was that unlike natural gas that rises, propane hangs out at the bottom... potentially catastrauphic if you have a propane leak into the interior :eek:

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Peter you should be able to do a search on this in google fairly easily. I know when I was into off roading there were lots of people that ran propane injected Chevy small blocks. ANd most of those guys did it themselves. Just depends on how mechanically inclined you are with that kind of stuff.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
i didn't even know you could do that..

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
oh yeah lots of people do it. Several cities require all of their taxis to run on propane or natural gas. The only one I know of off the top of my head is LAs Vegas jsut because I have been there and seen them. Lots of gas companies ahve their vehicles set to run on propane of natural gas since they own the gas and supply it and all it jsut sorta makes sense. I dont know a lot about them but supposedly you loose a small amount of power when going to the propane conversion.

here is one you can try maybe. http://www.hendrixsystems.com/

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ya i did google it , found a bit on it...still reading on it....and from the sounds of it i can do it...lol..

the reason i want to find out is that i want to start exporting pickups to poland, they have very little there , i wanted first to send desiels but not ever one can afford them there, cuz its costly., but u can find a gas pick 4x4 here with out a problem for cheap, (good luck finding desiels for cheap) , and the convert them into propane, cuz propane is used there alot,

and i would be placing the propane tank on the bed, ....so no worrys, i might by a beater and try it, see if it works,

Super Kaioken said:
i didn't even know you could do that..

yepp u can , HP stays the same , and propane is like 50 cents a liter, it much cheaper and i think its also cleaner, but its hard to find station around here, not like poland where each station

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I thinkif taht is what you are wanting to do I would worry more aobut hwo much it costs to get hte trucks over seas first. You would ahte to get into it and find out it is going to cost you several thousand dollars jsut to get the truck to Poland and then by the time you pay for the conversion and shipping and whatever fees to bring it into Poland it will be priced way out of reach for people to even buy it. I know that is one of the reasons it is hard to import cars into the US since they have to meet so many different requirements. Maybe it is easier to get them into Poland though if they dont have the safety and emmissions requirements that we do here in the US or even Canada.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha poland and emmesion and safty...lol....man those people dont carea bout that stuff...well i am still doing research on this, still need to find out if there ae any takers, need to tal to my family there and see, my uncle works for a shipping company and they do it internatinal...so i should have a big problem

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
Not sure if the links still work but I do remember this thread ...
http://toyotanation.com/forum/t17130.html

Its pretty easy especially with an american V8 where the kits already exist. I had mine running with 10 psi boost on a naturally aspirated engine for about a year.

I'm currently tearing the engine out to swap in a 4agze, eventually i'm going turbo.

I think the Civic SI 'could maybe' beat my rolla and there ain't no way I'm going to let a stock civic be faster than me.

·
One with the farce
3,221 Posts
Propane + turbo = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: power. A friend of mine has a '86 Dodge D50 (ya I know, Mitubishi) with a Ford 351 V8. He built it all himself at home, roller cam swap, 2 Impco 425's, 2 turbos, methanol injection (for detonation). It's about 780 hp, in a stock looking daily driver.

Fairly straightforward, except the distributor has to be re-curved on non computer-controlled ignitions because of the 114 octane:eek: .

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
DCM said:
Propane + turbo = :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: power. A friend of mine has a '86 Dodge D50 (ya I know, Mitubishi) with a Ford 351 V8. He built it all himself at home, roller cam swap, 2 Impco 425's, 2 turbos, methanol injection (for detonation). It's about 780 hp, in a stock looking daily driver.

Fairly straightforward, except the distributor has to be re-curved on non computer-controlled ignitions because of the 114 octane:eek: .
All on fuel that is cheaper than gasoline ( at least in Canada. )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts