Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the procedure to eliminate the beeping when you use the lock/unlock button on the remote?

I've searched a bit and can't find it.
I can't handle 4 beeps to unlock all doors anymore, it's driving me crazy.

09 DC 3 button remote

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That's odd. My '07 doesn't beep at all. It only flashes the lights. I'm so glad it's that way too. I had a Pontiac G6 rental car a few weeks ago and it beeped whenever you pushed a remote button. I felt like such an ass every time I locked the doors.

·
Shake & Bake
16 Posts
If there is an easy answer to this, please someone post it. Mine is like this too, and when I want to unlock the passenger side first (because I'm a gentleman) I have to press the button two or three times in a row, causing a beeping fiasco. Thanks in advance.

DS

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Toyota calls the beeping an "answer-back" function. It's new for 2009 on the Tacoma; other Toyota models have had it for a long time.

Here's how you toggle the answer-back beep off and on for the factory keyless entry (not Toyota's VIP alarm add-ons) on 2009+ Tacoma models:

1. Open the driver's door, and insert the key into the ignition. Leave the door open.
2. Remove the key from the ignition, and within 5 seconds, re-insert the key and then turn the ignition to ON.
3. Wait at least 10 seconds, but less than 20 seconds. After waiting, press a button on the remote twice. Press the same button two times - don't press two different buttons. The system will acknowledge with a beep if you did it right.

Toyota's instructions for this sort of thing are very literal and must be followed EXACTLY. It's helpful to use the flashing ":" symbol in the clock to count the seconds in step 3.

If you disconnect the battery, the setting will return to the factory default setting of ON.

·
Stupid is stupid does
5,554 Posts
this post is kinda funny. People use to complain. My self included beacuase we were never sure if the doors locked on older years. We actually paid money for a moduel that made the "beeping"

:lol:

·
Registered
197 Posts
this post is kinda funny. People use to complain. My self included beacuase we were never sure if the doors locked on older years. We actually paid money for a moduel that made the "beeping"

:lol:
I just added this feature to my 08. :D

·
NorCal Tacoma
378 Posts
Yea, I hate not having mine beep. I have to be watching my car to see if it locked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I simply unplugged the piezo buzzer from the wiring harness. If you pop your hood, you can find it between the battery and the radiator area. I only bought the truck Monday, and it was pretty much the first thing I did!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yea, I hate not having mine beep. I have to be watching my car to see if it locked.
Amen.

IMO it's a really nice feature that you don't miss until it's not there.

There have been many many times that I thought I locked my truck, but even though i could lock it from across the parking lot, I couldn't see the lights to make sure. I had to walk back track to a place where I could see the lights to make sure...... what a pain...... :headbang:

But not any more. :thumbsup: I did the Piezo mod and it works great.

·
Completely Numb
824 Posts
The nice thing is if you DO forget to lock your truck, it locks itself after 30 seconds or so.

·
Hooray Beer
193 Posts
^ Only if you hit lock/unlock on the remote and dont open any of the doors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this procedure works well. Turns off all beeps, lock and unlock. It would be cool to have the beep for the lock so when you're walking away you hear the lock beep happen, and when you unlock, like walking to your car in a parking lot, there would be no beep.
I'm happy though, no beeps, and no four beeps just to unlock all the doors in the middle of the night.

I did loose a FOB two weeks ago, thats two accidents (minor) and a lost fob in less than a thousand miles. It's cursed I think. Good thing it's a work truck and was cheap. (relatively)

·
Service Advisor/ Domestic
11 Posts
Do I understand correctly? There is no way to make a 05 access cab 4wd non-TRD give beep feedback? I miss that from other vehicles i have had. Dont see anything in owners manual. Would like to have a feedback "beep".
Thanks for help.:headbang:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
mine beeps once to lock and twice to unlock. i turned the beep on so I knew when it locked, because when im in a parking lot and in a hurry, its a [pain to have to look at your lights to make sure its locked. i just walk away press the button in my pocket and "beep" locked!

·
Georgia
1,181 Posts
mine beeps once to lock and twice to unlock. i turned the beep on so I knew when it locked, because when im in a parking lot and in a hurry, its a [pain to have to look at your lights to make sure its locked. i just walk away press the button in my pocket and "beep" locked!
You mist have VIP alarm installed, right?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts