Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Toyota calls the beeping an "answer-back" function. It's new for 2009 on the Tacoma; other Toyota models have had it for a long time.

Here's how you toggle the answer-back beep off and on for the factory keyless entry (not Toyota's VIP alarm add-ons) on 2009+ Tacoma models:

1. Open the driver's door, and insert the key into the ignition. Leave the door open.
2. Remove the key from the ignition, and within 5 seconds, re-insert the key and then turn the ignition to ON.
3. Wait at least 10 seconds, but less than 20 seconds. After waiting, press a button on the remote twice. Press the same button two times - don't press two different buttons. The system will acknowledge with a beep if you did it right.

Toyota's instructions for this sort of thing are very literal and must be followed EXACTLY. It's helpful to use the flashing ":" symbol in the clock to count the seconds in step 3.

If you disconnect the battery, the setting will return to the factory default setting of ON.
:bowdown:

That beep has been driving me up the freaking wall. One beep to lock, one beep to unlock might be fine, but I always get two to unlock, and four to unlock all doors... So obnoxious.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Toyota calls the beeping an "answer-back" function. It's new for 2009 on the Tacoma; other Toyota models have had it for a long time.

Here's how you toggle the answer-back beep off and on for the factory keyless entry (not Toyota's VIP alarm add-ons) on 2009+ Tacoma models:

1. Open the driver's door, and insert the key into the ignition. Leave the door open.
2. Remove the key from the ignition, and within 5 seconds, re-insert the key and then turn the ignition to ON.
3. Wait at least 10 seconds, but less than 20 seconds. After waiting, press a button on the remote twice. Press the same button two times - don't press two different buttons. The system will acknowledge with a beep if you did it right.

Toyota's instructions for this sort of thing are very literal and must be followed EXACTLY. It's helpful to use the flashing ":" symbol in the clock to count the seconds in step 3.

If you disconnect the battery, the setting will return to the factory default setting of ON.
:clap: I did this first thing this morning on my new 09. Works great! I also did the disable on the seat belt buzzer. This forum is a lot of help. Thanks.

·
Georgia
1,181 Posts
this doesn't work for a 06 trd sport?? i just tried it like 5 times
Maybe because these instructions apply ONLY to 09s and only to Tacomas equipped with "answer-back" function that was not available on Tacomas until the 09 model year? Post# 6, first page.
Prior model years had the chirp only in case of factory installed VIP alarm. My other post 7 post above yours.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is what I'm wondering. That's actually what I was searching for when I found this thread. I just bought a used 2003 Sequoia, and mine beeps twice when I unlock it, but doesn't beep at all when I lock it. My husband has a Corolla, and his beeps twice for unlock and once for lock. That's what I want mine to do. I like the single beep as I'm walking in the house so I know my vehicle is locked, so I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to turn on the single beep for when I lock it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This tip made my day. I was getting a beep on unlock but not on lock. Very annoying. Followed the steps 2X and now getting beeps on both unlock and lock. Order has been restored in the universe :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Piezo Location

I simply unplugged the piezo buzzer from the wiring harness. If you pop your hood, you can find it between the battery and the radiator area. I only bought the truck Monday, and it was pretty much the first thing I did!

You wouldn't happen to know if the piezo location is the same on a 2005 Avalon would you?

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Should be easy to find. Stand there and chirp the alarm, see where the noise comes from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Piezo Location

Should be easy to find. Stand there and chirp the alarm, see where the noise comes from.

Well, I've tried that. It seems to be on the driver's side of the engine bay, but I cannot see anything resembling a piezo. I suppose a service manual would indicate the exact location. It may need to be accessed from below after removing a splash shield or something. I hate to start dismantling things without knowing where I need to go.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts