Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
running with scissors...
2006 Tacoma 4X4 SR5
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to turn up the torque and horsepower with a scan tool or similar device?

A friend says he took his '06 tacoma to the dealer and told them he was going to tow a heavy trailer and ask them to crank up the ponies. says he now has 350 ponies. I tend to think BS, but then again I just don't know what is possible with the computer stuff.

It makes sense that it could be done, just not sure how.

If not, what is the best aftermarket performance chip or programmer to safely up the output? I am not worried about the extra wear and tear to the motor, I am worried about the effects it may cause the computer or other sensors. I have heard that some chips and programmers can really mess stuff up.

Thanks for you help.

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to turn up the torque and horsepower with a scan tool or similar device?

A friend says he took his '06 tacoma to the dealer and told them he was going to tow a heavy trailer and ask them to crank up the ponies. says he now has 350 ponies. I tend to think BS, but then again I just don't know what is possible with the computer stuff.

It makes sense that it could be done, just not sure how.

If not, what is the best aftermarket performance chip or programmer to safely up the output? I am not worried about the extra wear and tear to the motor, I am worried about the effects it may cause the computer or other sensors. I have heard that some chips and programmers can really mess stuff up.

Thanks for you help.

Your :bullshit2 detector is working correctly. We don't have an OBDII programmer for these trucks because toyota encrypts the ECU. So Superchips, Bully Dog, etc. Is out of the question. And even then, those programmers don't net you even CLOSE to 100 Hp. Try 20 at best (Unless it's a diesel, if so then all bets are off.) If you want some serious power you can actually FEEL, your best bet is to just bite the bullet and supercharge it. The TRD kit gives you an extra 70 ponies really gets these trucks rolling from what I've heard. You could even get the URD kit and go all the way up to 400+ if you like.

Bolt-ons (Besides long-tube headers.) are a waste of time with these trucks unless you're just looking for sound. Call your friend on his claim. Ask him to open his hood. Unless you see a big ol' blower, he's lying.

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
I disagree with headers being a waste. The Long tubes are dyno proven to boost torque and additional 25 ftlbs @3700rpm

I have them and they're worth every penny. The APR-X1 is the only piggy back computer that would give you "plug n play" power though.

·
Registered
2008 TRD SPORT
210 Posts
I disagree with headers being a waste. The Long tubes are dyno proven to boost torque and additional 25 ftlbs @3700rpm

I have them and they're worth every penny. The APR-X1 is the only piggy back computer that would give you "plug n play" power though.
I think he meant bolt ons "except" long tubes. But I agree, DTLTs are definitely worth it!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not to bash those headers but looking at that torque curve it looks like the torque is reduced in "regular" driving range of 2-3K rpm.

·
running with scissors...
2006 Tacoma 4X4 SR5
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kinda thought that was the case even with my very limited knowledge. I like the guy he is funny as heck but I can never tell when he is pulling my leg!

So the only thing left to wonder is, do dealerships have the capability to turn up horsepower with a special "toyota" programmer? I highly doubt they would because of warranty and safety issues.

Great info. I am planning to install a set of headers soon, I just need to make sure whatever I buy will be compatible with the Banks monster exuast system I plan to install this weekend.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Not to bash those headers but looking at that torque curve it looks like the torque is reduced in "regular" driving range of 2-3K rpm.
Does seem like there is only a short 3500-4000 range were there is a large increase, from 4000 on it is a more modest 5hp gain.

Below 2500 we see the compromise, a major drop in torque/hp. Minus 35+ hp at 2000!

·
Registered
2008 TRD SPORT
210 Posts
Does seem like there is only a short 3500-4000 range were there is a large increase, from 4000 on it is a more modest 5hp gain.

Below 2500 we see the compromise, a major drop in torque/hp. Minus 35+ hp at 2000!
I see people saying this a lot, but my personal experience with it, I havent notice the loss of torque down low.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I wonder how they react to an SC?

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
So do I. Hence why I said "besides long tube headers."

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
I wonder how they react to an SC?
I see people saying this a lot, but my personal experience with it, I havent notice the loss of torque down low.
I did my major performance mods in the following order: 1) X-1, 2) TRD S/C and 3) DTLTs.

I definitely felt a power shift with the headers. There was a loss of power at 2.2K and less, but the gains above that point outweighed the losses. Fact of the matter, when I want TQ and HP I can be sure that I am in the right gear and RPM range to get my power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts