Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new set of CDT EF-61 paper cones with 20 silk tweets. At first they sounded great. Then all of a sudden the left tweeter started distorting at higher volumes. I faded everything to the left side to see if it may be sound cancelation and its still there. At lower volumes it sounds like the tweeter is barely playing. I can hear a right bias when the balance is at 0. Any ideas? The only thing I am thinking is that a speaker wire is grounding itself somewhere and causing the tweeter to distort/not play correctly? Maybe just a bad tweeter? (1 week old) When I turn the treble on the head unit to -7(lowest setting) the distortion gets noticeably worse on the bad tweeter.

Running these from a soundstream reference 300 75 wrms x 2 @ 12 volts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Mr Marv said:
You may try switching the crossovers. If the noise moves to the right side it may well be the crossover. If it stays to the left it could be a shorting wire or the tweeter itself (if you have a continuity tester you could use that to check if a wire is shorting).
Are u the same Mr.Marv that builds enclosures?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I fixed the problem. A couple of the strands of copper running through the screw terminals on the crossover were toucing the metal basket frame (I took it off the change the tweeter output to -3db, and put them back on reverse, the other side stuck out more) I re-wired so none of the wires were close to the metal basket frame and problem is gone.

·
Registered
758 Posts
kkrkeith7 said:
Ok, I fixed the problem. A couple of the strands of copper running through the screw terminals on the crossover were toucing the metal basket frame (I took it off the change the tweeter output to -3db, and put them back on reverse, the other side stuck out more) I re-wired so none of the wires were close to the metal basket frame and problem is gone.
way to go :clap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts