Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Venza AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On two occasions, a month apart, I have tried to start my Venza (2010 V6 AWD) only to find the battery dead. Both times the car started with a boost and charged the battery after a 1/2 hr. highway run. Each time this happened the car was taken to a (different) Toyota dealership for a check. Both dealerships came up with the same results. Battery tested good and no drains on the system could be found. After the second test the dealership requested should it happen again, not to boost the car, rather have it towed in to assist in diagnosing. The car was found dead after being parked overnight (once sitting for two days) in a garage. Nothing was left on save items that should shut off when vehicle is turned off, lights on auto, fan blower, radio, heated seats. The only aftermarket item is a trailer hitch installed by Toyota and checked OK. The dome light is set to off even when doors open. Any ideas or similar occurences?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I literally just got off the phone with my nephew as he was leaving the local Toyota service dept. for a replacement of his battery in a 24-month old Tacoma. The Service manager swapped out the battery at cost) and no labor (he is over the 36-month warranty. The manager said it becoming common - Lots of batteries are failing far earlier than expected as Toyota cheaped out by going to low cost vendors.

You got good advice from the dealer - if the tow is not too expensive.

·
Registered
2010 Venza AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have included both boosts provided gratis by Toyota roadside assistance as will be the tow if required. Nice, but doesn't cut it when you are on your way somewhere with a car in nogo mode.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well I do know from my own experience that car batteries are not deep cycle but starting batteries which means they must never get fully discharged. Many times as you shop for a car the dealers will have to come out with a portable charger because once again the battery in the new car on the lot is dead - again. When I purchased I demanded a new battery and they agreed.
Yes if they bought the cheapest Johnson battery line they will not last. Especially with our Venzas which leave headlights on for 30 seconds or more only after we leave the proximity of our cars. Electric door openeners, security sensors do drain continously.
Once drained fully a starter unlike a deep cycle will lose lifespan cycle.
If you get a new battery get one with thick plates inside it for a few extra bucks.

·
2019 Highlander LE AWD V6
2019 Highlander AWD
192 Posts
The dealer should be able to do a battery load test. That will quickly show if one or more cells have gone bad.

John

·
Registered
2010 Venza AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery passesd the load test twice and no draws on power were found. I got this car in Dec. /09 and drove through last winter with no issues. Its a 2010 but now 14 months old.

·
Registered
Venza I4 AWD Premium
8 Posts
Us two on our 2009. In both cases it was caused by leaving one of the vanity lights on overnight. When I looked into it I was surprised that the Venza doesn't come with a "battery-saver" circuit like every other car (Fords mainly) I've owned (the circuit shuts down power if a light was left on after a few hours). We are now very careful to ensure the kids haven't touched the lights when we park it. Still doesn't seem right that the vanity light can kill the battery in 14+ hours though... Next time I take it in I'll have the dealer check the battery (I checked the SG myself on all the cells and it looked OK).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an 09 V6 and the battery has gone dead twice. First time at home and most recently in late January while vacationing in Myrtle Beach. I believed it happened because of the Auto lights and the lights staying on after shutting off the car. I started using the manual headlights while on this trip. So far okay but I will visit my dealership on my return.

·
Registered
2010 Venza, 2007 MDX
143 Posts
I guess I have been lucky. I actually left the interior light on for three days while parked at the airport. The car cranked right up.

One lesson I learned with my previous car was that playing the radio when the car isn't running can really drain the battery on a car with a nav system.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,704 Posts
On two occasions, a month apart, I have tried to start my Venza (2010 V6 AWD) only to find the battery dead. Both times the car started with a boost and charged the battery after a 1/2 hr. highway run. Each time this happened the car was taken to a (different) Toyota dealership for a check. Both dealerships came up with the same results. Battery tested good and no drains on the system could be found. After the second test the dealership requested should it happen again, not to boost the car, rather have it towed in to assist in diagnosing. The car was found dead after being parked overnight (once sitting for two days) in a garage. Nothing was left on save items that should shut off when vehicle is turned off, lights on auto, fan blower, radio, heated seats. The only aftermarket item is a trailer hitch installed by Toyota and checked OK. The dome light is set to off even when doors open. Any ideas or similar occurences?
I had a very, very similar situation with my Highlander. I took it to a dealership and my private mechanic and neither found a battery draw. Over time the problem got worse and I could not go more than three days without the battery dying...WTF? I took it recently to a mechanic who specializes in electrical system problems...kind of like taking yourself to a brain surgeon instead of the family doctor...and they found the culprit: the relay for the A/C compressor clutch was bad and causing the clutch to constantly engage even when the engine was turned off. I'm not saying this exact problem is causing your drain, but you should seek out a mechanic and/or repair shop that specializes in electrical system problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
2009 Venza AWD
58 Posts
Headlights shut off with lock

I always leave my headlights in the auto mode. When you leave the car and click the Lock twice, all the lights will shut off.

I have an 09 V6 and the battery has gone dead twice. First time at home and most recently in late January while vacationing in Myrtle Beach. I believed it happened because of the Auto lights and the lights staying on after shutting off the car. I started using the manual headlights while on this trip. So far okay but I will visit my dealership on my return.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently parked my car at the airport, after 8 days I came back to a foot of snow on my car and a dead battery. Waited over an hour for Toyota to come and boost, frooze my butt off, inside the car was no better than outside. I could only open the front doors and couldn't even put my luggage in the back.

After the boost, I drove it for about an hour and thought everything would be ok, I made a quick stop, only to come back to a dead battery. I called the dealer, the service department was closed, but one of the sales persons told me that if the battery has been totally drained, it cannot not be boosted and hold a charge. I took the car in the next day and they replaced the battery for free.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I recently parked my car at the airport, after 8 days I came back to a foot of snow on my car and a dead battery. Waited over an hour for Toyota to come and boost, frooze my butt off, inside the car was no better than outside. I could only open the front doors and couldn't even put my luggage in the back.

After the boost, I drove it for about an hour and thought everything would be ok, I made a quick stop, only to come back to a dead battery. I called the dealer, the service department was closed, but one of the sales persons told me that if the battery has been totally drained, it cannot not be boosted and hold a charge. I took the car in the next day and they replaced the battery for free.
Just a word of warning that alternators are not designed to charge dead batteries. Doing that stresses alternators beyond design specs and could significantly shorten the alternator life.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Doing a DC amp draw measure with an amp tester when the car is off is the solution but you have to wrap this on all wires individually to find the culprit draw.
Now I do suspect these Venza's do take alot of juice with all their gadgets and functions. If this will be the case I will also install a Blue Sea ACR in my Venza as I have on my boats. Although the device can be used for automatic charging between accessory and starting batteries ( its not a shunt with a voltage loss) it can be used for one battery systems and as soon as the battery gets drained by accessories it will automatically disconnect the accesories circuit feed and to only allow enough juice to be used for being able to start the car at all times and then the alternator recharges the battery. I believe 4 yrs for a Venza battery might be pushing it and a 3 yr replacement intervals might be cautionary.
http://bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/6330.pdf

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,704 Posts
I believe 4 yrs for a Venza battery might be pushing it and a 3 yr replacement intervals might be cautionary.
I'll agree with that, especially considering the POS Panasonic batteries Toyota tends to put in their new vehicles....:thumbsdow

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me with my 2011 venza V6 all wheel drive vehicle which I purchased a
s a certified used vehicle and I ended up replacing the battery 4 to 5 times in 3 years and finally found out what the cause of the problem was... an aftermarket remote starter that may have been improperly installed was drawing 1amp on a constant basis from my battery, even when it was not in use. I took it to a reputable business which installed Remote starters and purchased a new digital unit and had it installed correctly and have had no problems and it works even better than the previous unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts