Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday, i have a corolla sx ae92 with a 4age 16 valve engine. Me & my mate have made twin throttle bodies as we were thinking of putting them into my car.

I have researched and i have not found many results of 4age engines with twin throttle bodies.

Has anybody tried this before?
Will i need to buy a new computer in order for them to work?
Does anybody think i will get alot more power out of the engine?

Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
why make 2 when you could've just bought the quad throttles off a 20valve 4age?

I'm not dissing I'm just saying that it would've been a lot easier just getting the quad throttle bodies off of a 20valve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my mate had the spare parts so we just made them and cant afford quads atm im thinking of putting in quads in the future but i was just wondering since i have them if anyone knew or has actually tried putting in twins before

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
you will need a standalone ECU to run twins, quads, etc... as the OEM ECU probably won't run them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i will 100% need to get a different ecu to get full potential out of the twin throttle bodies.?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Twin throttle bodies wont give more power, they might actually decrease power as you'll lose resonance pulse effect that the stock intake manifold has, aswell as you're going to lose drivability, because you're getting way more air in than the stock throttle body would do. Unless you'd decrease the size of them. Then we get to the "whats the point" arguement, as some cars that have twin plate throttle bodies do it to get a progressive opening, so that you gain more off-idle throttle control.

Stupid idea imho and yes you'd need an aftermarket ECU because you're changing the characteristic of the engine and that stock throttle body isnt going to be a limiting factor if all else in the engine is stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts