Toyota Nation Forum banner

Two 5SFE EFI questions

353 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  new echo owner
1/ Does this engine have sequential or batch injection?
2/ Does the fuel rail have a return line back to the tank, or is it one way only?
Thinking of experimenting with slightly heated fuel for maybe better economy and emissions. Not easy if there is a return line.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Administrator
14,641 Posts
2/ Does the fuel rail have a return line back to the tank, or is it one way only?
What year? Gen3’s have a return line. Gen4’s don’t.

• Helpful
Reactions: sdspeed

· Administrator
14,641 Posts
1999 Australian build.
Thats a Gen4, so most likely it doesn’t have a return line (not sure of it, being an Aussie-built). Easy enough to check. Pull the rear seat out, remove the fuel pump access panel and see if there are one or two lines on top of the pump.

• Helpful
Reactions: sdspeed

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Thats a Gen4, so most likely it doesn’t have a return line (not sure of it, being an Aussie-built). Easy enough to check. Pull the rear seat out, remove the fuel pump access panel and see if there are one or two lines on top of the pump.
Can you verify by looking at the fuel rail? If there is a return, there would be an extra line under the fuel pressure regulator, right?

· Administrator
14,641 Posts
Maybe. I’m not familiar with how the 5S-FE fuel lines were run, but on mine with the 3VZ-FE V6, the line first ran thru a pressure reg - front bank - looped over to the rear bank - then out the drivers side and back.

· just a nobody
Echo
9,835 Posts
Silly me! Come to think of it, when Toyota went to the returnless fuel system, they moved the fuel pressure regulator inside the fuel tank; in other words, if you don't see a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, there wouldn't be a fuel return line, just a plate where the regulator used to be!

Picture in this thread shows a 2000 Camry fuel rail with the plate, step 14:

DIY Fuel rail & injectors removal - 4cyl i4 5s-fe...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts