Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I do to adjust the Ackermann steering angle of my truck. Making it turn tighter would be nice.

and how do you guys properly install a leaf spring shackle?

the two of mine in the rear are.... sorta.... off.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,582 Posts
you mean the ackerman length? the angle will just make hte tires scrub on turns, shorter length will change the leverage and speed of steering as well as the ultimate limit (more rotation of the spindle per movement of the steering assy). that's one of those new-custom-spindle or machine work type things.

shackles: lift the truck by the frame so the weight is off the leaves. if the shackles are broken it's easy and you can just let the axle sit on the tires. then take the bolts out by any means necessary (hammer, pneumatics, fire). lift up on the diff with a jack till the new shackles are lined up and bolt them on.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,582 Posts
so they thread directly into the shackle? can you stick both bolts in finger tight then torque them? that way the leaf holds it steady.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
IF there is too much corrosion in the shackle hardware you are fighting a loosing battle.

Usually by this time the bushings are getting there anyways, might want to replace the bushings at the same time (cut hardware, burn out bushings etc...)

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, bushings need to be replaced.

i can get the nuts back on the bolts, but when i'm at the point where i'm torqueing down the whole shackle assembly, it'll pull the shackle to the frame, depending on which side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.