Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just notice that two of my tires, all of them Michelin Energy™ Saver A/S tires, seems to be worn out after 10K mile usage. However, when I look these tires at the Michelin web site, it states that these tires have a 64K mile warranty. Could someone explain what this warranty really mean? Also if I decided that two of my tires, all Michelin Energy™ Saver A/S tires, need replacement, could I just replace the two worn out tires or all 4 tires? Thanks.:|

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
I just notice that two of my tires, all of them Michelin Energy™ Saver A/S tires, seems to be worn out after 10K mile usage. However, when I look these tires at the Michelin web site, it states that these tires have a 64K mile warranty. Could someone explain what this warranty really mean? Also if I decided that two of my tires, all Michelin Energy™ Saver A/S tires, need replacement, could I just replace the two worn out tires or all 4 tires? Thanks.:|
Depends a bit ...

First off the warranties are different if you bought the tires of if they came on the car.

If they came on the car - they might not have any mileage warranty.

If you bought the tires originally - and you ran them at correct pressure and rotated them every 5K miles - you should get 84% off replacement tires (although sometimes they have a calendar warranty also and balance and installation is not covered).

You can only replace the bad ones if you want, but:

• Some leases require all four tires to match - so you either have to replace with the same tires or replace all 4.
  • Many tire shops will only put the new tires on the rear - although you could probably install them there and then go to a different shop or rotate them yourself if you wanted to.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Legally in PA, "worn out" is 2/32nds of tread wear or on the wear bar of the tire in terms of inspection standards; that is what the manufacturer should be using to gauge life, wear bars or inspection standards. 4 or 5/32nds is when the dealer makes it look like you're driving on racing slicks but the tires are perfectly fine. In fact my tires are so good they regenerated a full 1/32nd between when my dealer last saw the car and when I got it inspect 6 months later (sarcasm). Highway driving will wear out tires faster, and poor alignments and wrong pressure will accelerate this. If you're down to the wear bars after 10,000 miles you probably have an alignment issue.

Be mindful though I don't think any tire company offers a warranty for dry rot, and in my state they can make you replace the tire for inspection if it s more than 3 years old and showing dry rot but this is often up to the station inspecting the car.. Of course if you have traction/grip issues that is another matter, if you feel the tire is unsafe you should replace it. But in general I find my Michelins are always very good with minimal drop off in traction/quality as they get to the end of their life.

Edit: Not to say you didn't get a bad set; we had some Hankooks on the wear bars after 20,000 miles and after they verified we had them rotated on schedule and the vehicle had a good alignment, they replaced the entire set at no cost. But that was 5-6 years ago, things are a bit different now.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
Are they evenly worn? They will not honer the warranty if you have any alignment issues.
My Energy's looked like new after 3-4K, seriously, like new, I even sold them "like new" and the buyer didn't say anything about the wear.

·
Registered
2014 Camry LE, 2020 Camry Hybrid LE
886 Posts
You can just replace two tires. I am assuming that your front tires out bad. You will need to rotate every 5000 or 7500 miles and make sure your car tracks straight if not then make sure to check the alignment. It is unlikely that your rear tires are bad since we have FWD cars,.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Again, its extremely unusual to "wear out" a quality tire in 10,000 miles. You don't give any details as to the kind of wear. I also assume, since your car is a 2012, these are not the original tires.

If the wear is even around the entire circumference of the tire and from side to side across the tread, then yes this is very unusual. I'd go back to the place I bought the tires, warranty in hand, and raise some hell. However, if the wear is isolated to a particular part of the tread (for example: both tires are worn on the outside shoulders) this probably indicates an alignment or mechanical issue. I've seen an excessively toed-in front suspension destroy a set of tires in 6k miles.

You might need to get a quality alignment done when you get your new tires.

http://www.toyotanation.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now, yes, there are the two back tires showing the wear. I will provide some pictures to show the tires later today. I was going to do that yesterday, but it was raining all day here in Raleigh NC. What I can see is that they wore out mostly from the outside shoulders, which is what I am able to see in the two back tires. Btw, I rotated the tires about six month ago. Anyhow if I decided to replace them or the dealer nearby tells me that they need to be replaced, could I just replace 2, or all 4 tires?

In addition and to provide more information, I got the tires when I bought this car back in 2013 as a used car with only 20K miles on it, and at that time, the tires looked new to me. However, the place where I bought it from, a Toyota dealer, is too far for me to go and question the tires. Besides, I lost all the papers from that dealer sale since I just moved from CA to NC back then, I was very organized. Thank you for all your comments.

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
Anyhow if I decided to replace them or the dealer nearby tells me that they need to be replaced, could I just replace 2, or all 4 tires?
See reply number 8.

However, the place where I bought it from, a Toyota dealer, is too far for me to go and question the tires. Besides, I lost all the papers from that dealer sale since I just moved from CA to NC back then, I was very organized.
They should probably be warrantied by the manufacturer - typically you would go back to the dealer where you bought them from and they would handle it - but if you bought from a dealer on the other side of the country, maybe you could contact them and they could mail you the original sale paperwork - basically, you want to verify when you bought them and how many miles were on the car at that time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hate to drive...

Something is very wrong to wear out two Michelins in 10k miles!

You doin' a lot of midnight burnouts in the parking lot?
No, I hate to drive; thus, I only drive when I have to, which in Raleigh NC, it is a must. Thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car had less than 20K miles on it...

See reply number 8.

They should probably be warrantied by the manufacturer - typically you would go back to the dealer where you bought them from and they would handle it - but if you bought from a dealer on the other side of the country, maybe you could contact them and they could mail you the original sale paperwork - basically, you want to verify when you bought them and how many miles were on the car at that time.
I just want to add a personal thank you, and say that this car had less than 20K miles on it when I bought it. Again thanks.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,505 Posts
What I can see is that they wore out mostly from the outside shoulders, which is what I am able to see in the two back tires.
In addition and to provide more information, I got the tires when I bought this car back in 2013 as a used car with only 20K miles on it, and at that time, the tires looked new to me.
So you have around 30K on these tires? Uneven wear means that your aliment is out of specs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you have around 30K on these tires? Uneven wear means that your aliment is out of specs.
I assume that the tires were new at the time of purchase. Is this is the case, then the tires only have 10K on them and not 30K. (I bought this car with less than 20K miles on it). Btw, I went to a Toyota dealer about 6 months ago, and had its tires rotated. I just wonder if this dealer looked to see that the tires were alined after the rotation. I will have the car check in January for oil change, tire rotation, and then I will ask about the aliment after rotation. Anyhow thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Camry LE, 2020 Camry Hybrid LE
886 Posts
I assumed that the tires were new at the time of purchase. If this is the case, then the tires only have 10K on them and not 30K. (I bought this car with less than 20K miles on it).
How can you make that assumption? Why would the seller mount new tires when the car has less than 20k miles? The seller wants to maximize the profit or minimize the loss. Not sure how your derived your assumption.

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
I mis-read one of your previous posts:

I got the tires when I bought this car back in 2013 as a used car with only 20K miles on it, and at that time, the tires looked new to me.
I read this as you bought the car in 2013 and you had the tires put on it then.

I think you meant your bought the car in 2013 and the tires were already on it and you THOUGHT they were new.

First off - the tires would not typically be worn out at 20K miles and would not be replaced before you bought the car unless the OEM tires were worn out.

More importantly - unfortunately, I don't think you have any treadwear warranty on the tires since you didn't purchase them. If the selling dealer or the previous owner purchased them - THEY - might have a mileage warranty on the tires and they might be able to help you out.

Btw, I went to a Toyota dealer about 6 months ago, and had its tires rotated. I just wonder if this dealer looked to see that the tires were alined after the rotation.
Only if you paid them to do an alignment. Otherwise they just rotated the tires for you and probably didn't even re-balance them. If the shoulders were worn, they SHOULD have noticed and told you about it and recommended getting an alignment, but ...

1 - 20 of 168 Posts