Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4x4 Ext. Cab Pickup
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled my drive shafts on my 92 xtra cab V-6 truck. Of course by the time that I finished this morning and ran oover to the local automotive machine shop, they said that they were closing 1/2 hour early (earlier than their sign and website) despite the fact that the guy at the counter was just standing there BSing with a customer when i walked up. I had told him that I was hoping they could press a couple U-joints in and out, but it made no difference. He didn't say that they were busy or " we could do it first thing monday, just, " I was about to close".

Now that I got my whining out of the way, I'll get to the point. I tried pressing a couple of the joints out on my bench vise, but they did not even move. I tried a hammer and punch on them, and no real movemennt. One may have moved a little, but it may have been my imagination.

Does anyone have any tricks or recommendations on how to get these out. They have 250K on them, so they are probably stuck in there pretty good (though the flanges broke loose fairly easily).

I would rather not give my money to that shop, if I can help it.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Did you remove the retaining clips before trying to press out the caps?
Did you try the 2 socket method?

Reactions: crashq

·
Registered
4x4 Ext. Cab Pickup
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did remember to take the clips off. I am not sure that I know about the two socket method. I was using a large socket on the pushing side, and a couple small flat metal shims against the yoke on the other side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts