Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot on here about Total Chaos UCAs and Camburg UCAs, but I haven't heard anything at all about All Pros UCAs. I know toku58 doesn't advise Camburg, but Pb has them and doesn't complain. Which is better? I can get Camburgs for ~$400 shipped, All Pro for ~$500+s/h, and Total Chaos for $571+s/h. Any thoughts? I know DRs are out there, but I don't have $950 to spend or enough time to save.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
I just wanted to clear something up. The reason I don't advise Camburg is because it will not be able to handle a 3" lift. PB has DR's so his lift is about 2.5" which Camburg can handle. But it would be at it's limit. The TC's will allow you quite a bit of room to play even with 3" of lift. I am currently considering 4" and I'm sure the TC's will handle that also.
Camburg is O.K. but it is Very limited.
As for All Pro's? that you would need to speak to "BillBrasky" He has All Pro's

Since you have a 3" lift I don't think you should even consider the Camburgs. If the reason you are changing the UCA's is to correct your alignment? Then they most likely will not do it! And to spend $400? For "almost" correct alignment, is really not good.

But you can't go wrong with the TC's. IMHO!
Good luck!!

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks toku. One quick question: How do you plan on going to 4" of lift? You aren't going LT on us are you?

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
No! I was look into buying the DR coilovers and adding a spacer. That way I could crank it up to 4". Or there is a company that sells extended spindles for our truck that will allow the 4" lift? I was thinking about the LT kit? But I don't think I would make full use of it?
It's only that my truck still rubs when I go offroading? It's very slight, and only at full articulation. But it is something I want to correct. (I'm not willing to go to smaller tires) So I'm looking for options?

·
Registered
839 Posts
same yourself some grief and get the Total Chaos. Sure they will cost more but they work well with a larger range of lift heights compared Camburg where they max out at 2.5". Plus the total chaos has a better uniball where it less prone to squeeking.

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
toku58 said:
No! I was look into buying the DR coilovers and adding a spacer. That way I could crank it up to 4". Or there is a company that sells extended spindles for our truck that will allow the 4" lift? I was thinking about the LT kit? But I don't think I would make full use of it?
It's only that my truck still rubs when I go offroading? It's very slight, and only at full articulation. But it is something I want to correct. (I'm not willing to go to smaller tires) So I'm looking for options?
Adding a spacer to a coilover is a very very bad idea, your stock CV's can only handle so much extension and adding a spacer to a maxed out set of coilovers would spell trouble for stock length CV's. Not to mention maxing out coilovers would provide next to no down travel eliminating much of the performance gain associated with a high performance coilover. Adding more lift the way you described will not alleviate your rubbing issues either, reason is you're not correcting the problem. The problem is fender clearance. If you don't want to rub you have two options, move everything down as in drop bracket kit or go to a long travel kit with new longer CV's and glass fenders, if you don't want to do either of those you'll have to open up your fenders more.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
I see what you are saying AN! But I was also going to cut the Differential support and lower that as well. Also I was going to install bigger bump stops so the tires won't go so far up into the fenders.
But like I said I am just looking around for possible solutions? I could just trim my fenders a bit more?? Because it only rubs very little.
Thanks AN!!

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
05TRDOffRoad said:
I've read a lot on here about Total Chaos UCAs and Camburg UCAs, but I haven't heard anything at all about All Pros UCAs. I know toku58 doesn't advise Camburg, but Pb has them and doesn't complain. Which is better? I can get Camburgs for ~$400 shipped, All Pro for ~$500+s/h, and Total Chaos for $571+s/h. Any thoughts? I know DRs are out there, but I don't have $950 to spend or enough time to save.
Never had a problem with the AP a-arms. Had them on since July of last year and the uni-balls just started squeaking in late December. So, I shot some graphite dust/powder on them. All better. This ws the first lubricant I have used on the uni-balls besides water since I have had them. Keep in mind that my truck sees trail use on average of once a month, and I have seen these uni-balls completely covered and caked in mud on more than one occasion.

They are strong as all get out. I even used a prybar against them to create room to adjust the spanner during the coilover install. They are made of 4130 chromoly and TIG welded. They must offer more caster (?) than the camburgs b/c I am very close to 3" of lift and there is plenty of room for the uni-ball to cycle, and I could go even higher (if I wanted to). These a-arms allow my suspension to cycle so far that the uni-ball cup will actually hit the coil at full droop.

You can pay for DR's or TC's, but the AP's will do the same job for less money. This is, of course, if you are just after solid performance and function and not wanting the "bling factor".

I would buy them again. If you want to see pics, they are in my sig.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
BillBrasky said:
Never had a problem with the AP a-arms. Had them on since July of last year and the uni-balls just started squeaking in late December. So, I shot some graphite dust/powder on them. All better. This ws the first lubricant I have used on the uni-balls besides water since I have had them. Keep in mind that my truck sees trail use on average of once a month, and I have seen these uni-balls completely covered and caked in mud on more than one occasion.

They are strong as all get out. I even used a prybar against them to create room to adjust the spanner during the coilover install. They are made of 4130 chromoly and TIG welded. They must offer more caster (?) than the camburgs b/c I am very close to 3" of lift and there is plenty of room for the uni-ball to cycle, and I could go even higher (if I wanted to). These a-arms allow my suspension to cycle so far that the uni-ball cup will actually hit the coil at full droop.

You can pay for DR's or TC's, but the AP's will do the same job for less money. This is, of course, if you are just after solid performance and function and not wanting the "bling factor".

I would buy them again. If you want to see pics, they are in my sig.
Hey Bill? For sho? They will handle 3"'s of lift? If they can then it's all good !! That is the main concern. Otherwise Camburg's would be good also?!
Thanks for the info Bill!!

troyslegacy said:
I am saving the money on I could spend on mods and buying a dirtbike instead. Anyone ever show interest in that land above Royal Kunia for a park Toku?
No It seems that NO one was really that interested?? So I guess it's a Waste of time, If only a few People want it.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
toku58 said:
Hey Bill? For sho? They will handle 3"'s of lift? If they can then it's all good !! That is the main concern. Otherwise Camburg's would be good also?!
Thanks for the info Bill!!
Oh yeah. I had my coilovers cranked WAY up trying to clear those Mickey Thompsons w/ 285's, I think it was actually up over 3" till I decided to just fubar-trim the fender and crank them back down a little. Then I got the right wheels (backspacing) and was able to lower them even more. But, yeah I got it aligned correctly with those a-arms at ~3" of lift.

Also, I'm not saying the AP's are as good as the TC's or DR's, as those are clearly superior products. But, for the money, I haved used the hell out of mine with no issues other than minor squeaking.

·
Badassness
2005 Tacoma
511 Posts
toku58 said:
Or there is a company that sells extended spindles for our truck that will allow the 4" lift?
If you're referring to the ones from Allied Motorsports, those are for prerunners only. The only other ones I can think of that might be a possibility for 4x4 trucks would be from the Fabtech or ProComp kits, but I don't even know if those would work.

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dad ordered the TC UCAs for me this morning:whatwhat: . They should be here by the end of the week. What did ya'll pay for your TCs? I think I might be kind of ashamed at how much I paid.:ugh3:

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Mine were $590.90 shipped. The good news is I only pay $295.45 because my dad is freakin awesome! He told my all I have to do is pay for half because he wants my truck to be safe. Plus it would take me a while to get the $600 because I'm only working ~4 hrs a day for $7/hr, paying $180(half) for my truck note, and gas for this 15 MPG beast. Where can I get gears for my truck other than All Pro. I'm looking for something about 4.10.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You can bargain with Wheelers about everything. I haggled the price down to $500 for my TC's

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about your OME/Dakar leafs? How much did you pay for those? I've completely abandoned my audio project in favor of suspension and I think my next step is going to be leaves, then maybe gears.

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thinking that since most of my driving is stop/go city lower gears would allow me to get up to speed with less of a load on the engine, thereby giving better fuel economy in the city. I could, however, be very wrong and this could just be another one of my warped theories set forth by my advanced state of schizophrenia.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts