Toyota Nation Forum banner

UK Carina2 (gen2 1991) sal.

27K views 168 replies 6 participants last post by  tooSavvy 
#1 · (Edited)
UK Carina II (1991) sal. 5sp

Hi everyone. :grin:

It would appear my car is a Corona, 1.6 carb 5sp... Going by the piccies on here.

Bought it Aug1st, 350ukpoundsÂŁ, 80k miles and I have racked up near 1100 miles since @ 41 ukMPG.. I like frugal !!

I will make a more detailed update from my desktop, later.

Nonetheless... the Savvy has landed :nerd:

2sav

#2 · (Edited)
as I said.... some piccies :wink:
my car is very clean

... and the subchassis is very clean...

As soon as I got into the car I noticed the sunvisors were crappy, wouldn't move easily and creaked horribly..

A quick trip to my local breakers got me two, fresh from a GM Corsa.

Mine is a carb engine, last gen before EFi

we set off on a short vacation a few days after getting the car...No Pressure!! 80,000 came & went... no problem :smile:

currently stock, on factory 13" steel rims, I sorted out some OZ 5spoke alloys, for not a ÂŁlot & good tyres on them.

4x100*pcd, 7x15 ET37

*5x100 wheels (Camry size brakes) are fitted to the 2litre models :wink:

keep looking in for updates....

2sav

#4 · (Edited)
Now then... here's an interesting thing NOT!

I haven't taken a piccie (yet) but I have discovered the door frame inner [upper/glass], where it meets/welded/conjoin to the inner/outer door skins... you can see it is a mig welded joint rather than machine spots... has rusted through. It is like lacework with several pinholes.

The door has a full seal on the exterior - filling the door gap - but it has a split where two separate mouldings are joined, on the bend.
I'm wondering if there has been a little 'pressure point', when driving along, and water has pooled there causing this specific..localised rust??

Does anyone recall seeing a door with rust holes at this point??

I will give some thought to methods of putting it right... :|

2sav

#8 · (Edited)
My 'reverse warning sensor' kit has arrived :grin:

Nice little hole-saw provided... to cut through the plastic bumper, at the correct dia.

We will see how this works out.

I'm going to connect it all together, running a 12V lead from the ciggy socket as temporary power, and tape the sensors to the bumper... and walk around with a piece of wood board = just to ensure it isn't a duffer :nerd:

2sav

#10 · (Edited)
No one drives this car but me... therefore, I have little opportunity to use any of the other doors/doorhandles.
So when I grabbed the front passenger doorhandle, to open it for something or other, it WOBBLED in & out

Deffo needed fixing...!!

Yesterday was an 'off shift' and the rain wasn't due till 5

Got the car round the back and started on the door strippage....

* googling got the lowdown on how to get the armrest & switchplate off.

... I was fairly certain someone had been in before ...

Sure enough... the captive nuts (with fixing hex bolt tightened in) were revolving in the plastic handle.. so no more tightenees

Using determination/brute force & ignorance I managed to get the 'captive nut' to break out of the handle. I removed the handle after unclipping the rods - total quality fittings and a delight to work on!!

I spot drilled through the void [where the captive nut had been] a small pilot hole... opened this up to take the countersunk bolts I had in hand/Csunk the plastic on the handle outside (covered by the finger pull handle) to allow the bolts to lie flush.

This is the little bu99er which caused all the hassle.....

... a great deal of satisfaction gleaned to feel the handle as it should be... :smile:

a *spot of Black on the heads & dunnz dunn
OOps =
* paint will wait... started to rain....

Earlier, I did a bit of shopping at my local Car Acc Shop...

This lot is for my rear sill ends/arch bottom.The aerosol is to blow preserver wax inside the sill box.

2sav

#11 · (Edited)
WELL....!!

..... where to begin

OK then... THE END!!

During 2014 she did 3739 miles/15 did 3187/ and this 16 did 6342 [1345 in my ownership].... hardly taxi work

I wish to announce the NEW Carina ll, 25 Years Young & reborn.....

GONE is the wallowy, disconcerting heave and floppiness and rear shuffle.....

ENJOY an almost serene 'waft', with the tyres being pummelled by the force of the struts + the comforting 'bonggle/thwump' of a taut chassis being deflected by our totally $hite roads.....

I AM now getting exactly what 'the Son of the Rising Sun' was licking his sliderule for..........

Oh JOY, Oh Fountainhead of motoring yumminess......... enough, already...:wink:

Got the car back yesteday.... two rear rubber brake pipes needed replaced when the rear struts were removed + the rear strut shrouds had to be renewed

Full service and MOT 350UKpound (I supplied 230UKp of parts)

2sav

#13 ·
Plipper >> Door locking Modification.

Having, as I do, a PRESS button in the drivers door control pad - to lock/unlock the doors - Has anyone cut into the loom to install a remote 'PLIPPER' >> enabling us to PLIP lock/unlock the doors..... without the key??
Kits are quite universal, on Ebay >> but as ever - execution is never straightforward

2sav

#15 · (Edited)
10 Quid of anyones* money....

I see, from looking under the bonnet, an alarm has been installed...... Dead as a Kipper tho!

..... notwithstanding ....

I really miss the 'plip' lock on my previous car, Proton Savvy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L6EFE3W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wiring seems fairly straightforward, mind :surprise:

Blue/White = triggers doors 'LOCK'

Blue/Yellow = triggers doors 'UNLOCK'

.... job for first fine/warmish/light day, methinkks :nerd:

2sav

#18 · (Edited)
HU swappage... Thumbstick option!

I bought an adapter from Amazon...

My 'loom adapter' arrived the other day.... OF COURSE >> I CUT THE ENDS OFF

I have just to solder the tails from the AIWA radio....

Soldering didn't go too well.....

The tips all silvered but I could not get them to fuse to each other... Very Odd

Trusty 'Choccy blok' connectors to the rescue... Weyy aye!!

4 screws and fascia off... 4 screws in bracket supports HU [removed]... Toyyo HU is 'inside' the DIN Hole >> AIWA has a collar so is 'outside'/slid through the DIN Hole.
Holes in Toyyo bracket lined up, at the rear, so all is tight as a drum in there

*all sorted...

Fed the +12v/Earth tails through the dash and they are coiled loosely, just down by the clutch pedal.
This is the supply for the PlipLock controller.

Absolutely Steaminn... 'buried the needle'... Rockkinnonn YaY

2sav

#19 ·
Trusty 'Choccy blok' connectors to the rescue... Weyy aye!!
Better than crimp connectors if you ask me. Maybe the solder you have is no good I have a reel that can't solder anything worth a damn the stuff melts like plastic.

Reactions: tooSavvy
#21 · (Edited)
Car booked in tomorrow for 4x new tyres.

Landsail LS388 195/55-15
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Landsail/LS388-AS.htm

... this size 55 (up from 50, originally bought on the alloys) makes the rolling of the tyre exactly as Factory 165/80-13.

Fitted 4x new spark plugs too :smile:

NGK out / NGK in..... Nice and clean burning but now benchmarked as 'all new'.

2sav

#22 · (Edited)
New tyres are on.....

Slightly less 'gangsta stance' evident :wink:

Found my tyres with a load of others, as delivered. Lots of other sizes of Landsail in the pile!

Not alot of clearance on the strut >> however, no worse than the others. That ET37 is key. :smile:

Good chance to scan the underside, up on a 2post!

SO then?... nice and quiet and the wheel centring hasn't moved/no squirming or anything odd.

2sav

#23 · (Edited)
I have always had a hankering for the 'embossed/stamped' ally Reg. Plates for this car. I have had them fitted on cars in the past.. I like 'em :clap:

Very reasonably priced, from a dealer in Glasgow! including screws/plastic colour coded cups /or 3M adhesive tapes.

The weather is generally rubbish at this time but, unseasonally balmy sunshine greeted us all on Saturday....

.... using the tacky-tape meant no drilling any messy holes... LookinnSweet :x

2sav

#24 ·
Odd Fault.... :surprise: ... no, really!

I had a drivers side rear stop/tail bulb fail. Replaced it but the sidelights were coming on when the brake pedal was down....

Swapped to another bulb & now all sorted :smile:

Must be an internal short, in the bulb?... Chucked In Daa Bin!!

2sav

#25 · (Edited)
..... Yes, even humble Toyotas must visit to 'sip'!

Just embarasses the other 'white good/shopper trollies' with their 'auto stop-start' and 'EGR' and... well that plethora of totally useless cr*p fitted, to keep the modern motorist poor >:D

Rockinn Onn..... Baby!

2sav

#27 · (Edited)
OK Guys ['n Gals!].... Technical Questions....

My power slide/tilt is going great guns. However, when I rock back the switch for 'drop tilt' and the motor pulls the 'sledge' [thinggie??] along to drop the glass >> instead of going 'Flumpp' Closed what is happening is it goes 'CluDunkk'... :frown:

My mind sees this as the glass 'slab' is perhaps a small smidginn out of alignment (with the rear of the hole) and thus 'drops >> whacks the back edge >> slamdown!'.

There must be a relationship between the 'pivot point' [for glass tilt-pin radius] and where 'pivot sledge' [carrying tilt-pin/fixed to motor cable] starts & stops.... Adjusted originally at the factory??

Is there a 'How To' on the forum.... :nerd:

Cheers

*Does this apply to a 1991 Carina (or Corolla...) :dunno:

Thanks to all that posted! I followed the instructions from the other thread and it works correctly now.

1. Turn the ignition switch on (IG).
2. To normalize the moon roof, push and hold the moon roof switch on the “TILT UP” side until the roof fully tilts up.
3. Then release the switch.
4. Push and hold the switch on the “TILT UP” side until the moon roof tilts up, tilts down, slides open and then closes automatically.

NOTE: On the second "Push and hold the switch on the "Tilt UP" side" it took about 10-20 seconds before the intialization procedure started (tilt down, open, close)

2sav

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.