Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 161 Posts

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Car booked in tomorrow for 4x new tyres.

Landsail LS388 195/55-15
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Landsail/LS388-AS.htm

... this size 55 (up from 50, originally bought on the alloys) makes the rolling of the tyre exactly as Factory 165/80-13.

Fitted 4x new spark plugs too :smile:

NGK out / NGK in..... Nice and clean burning but now benchmarked as 'all new'.

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
New tyres are on.....

Slightly less 'gangsta stance' evident :wink:

Found my tyres with a load of others, as delivered. Lots of other sizes of Landsail in the pile!

Not alot of clearance on the strut >> however, no worse than the others. That ET37 is key. :smile:

Good chance to scan the underside, up on a 2post!

SO then?... nice and quiet and the wheel centring hasn't moved/no squirming or anything odd.

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I have always had a hankering for the 'embossed/stamped' ally Reg. Plates for this car. I have had them fitted on cars in the past.. I like 'em :clap:

Very reasonably priced, from a dealer in Glasgow! including screws/plastic colour coded cups /or 3M adhesive tapes.

The weather is generally rubbish at this time but, unseasonally balmy sunshine greeted us all on Saturday....

.... using the tacky-tape meant no drilling any messy holes... LookinnSweet :x

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Odd Fault.... :surprise: ... no, really!

I had a drivers side rear stop/tail bulb fail. Replaced it but the sidelights were coming on when the brake pedal was down....

Swapped to another bulb & now all sorted :smile:

Must be an internal short, in the bulb?... Chucked In Daa Bin!!

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
..... Yes, even humble Toyotas must visit to 'sip'!

Just embarasses the other 'white good/shopper trollies' with their 'auto stop-start' and 'EGR' and... well that plethora of totally useless cr*p fitted, to keep the modern motorist poor >:D

Rockinn Onn..... Baby!

2sav

·
chrome won't get you home
2012 Corolla
2,483 Posts
You have a very nice car man. My Canadian eyes love its European style but my Canadian brain can't tell whether it's looking at a Camry or a Corolla. Who cares? It's an old Toyota and it's beautiful :loove:

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
OK Guys ['n Gals!].... Technical Questions....

My power slide/tilt is going great guns. However, when I rock back the switch for 'drop tilt' and the motor pulls the 'sledge' [thinggie??] along to drop the glass >> instead of going 'Flumpp' Closed what is happening is it goes 'CluDunkk'... :frown:

My mind sees this as the glass 'slab' is perhaps a small smidginn out of alignment (with the rear of the hole) and thus 'drops >> whacks the back edge >> slamdown!'.

There must be a relationship between the 'pivot point' [for glass tilt-pin radius] and where 'pivot sledge' [carrying tilt-pin/fixed to motor cable] starts & stops.... Adjusted originally at the factory??

Is there a 'How To' on the forum.... :nerd:

Cheers

*Does this apply to a 1991 Carina (or Corolla...) :dunno:

Thanks to all that posted! I followed the instructions from the other thread and it works correctly now.

1. Turn the ignition switch on (IG).
2. To normalize the moon roof, push and hold the moon roof switch on the “TILT UP” side until the roof fully tilts up.
3. Then release the switch.
4. Push and hold the switch on the “TILT UP” side until the moon roof tilts up, tilts down, slides open and then closes automatically.

NOTE: On the second "Push and hold the switch on the "Tilt UP" side" it took about 10-20 seconds before the intialization procedure started (tilt down, open, close)

2sav

·
chrome won't get you home
2012 Corolla
2,483 Posts

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Further to my post, above....

My 'moonroof' has no self-open/close/tilt :frown:

It continues to run the motor (groaning under overload) after fully tilt or after fully slid - open/shut - if I keep my finger on the button.

No 'self learning' is possible so... ANYONE?? ... is there a screwlock adjustment on the cable 'sled' to adjust exact stop!!

Cheers

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hmm... found this >>

https://www.yotatech.com/attachments/f2/99940d1412360699-sunroof-cable-replacement-writeup-adju.pdf

Seems to cover my current difficulties :smile:

Nice warm day here today so I slathered a light grease into/onto/under/over all the working mech of the roof.
It was quite dry & dusty around the drive wires/slot guides and I'm sure the mech has 'eased' now it has been run back and forth a dozen times.

I still have the 'cull-umpp' sound as I drop the tilt... Adjustment Beckons :wink:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I know the preferred GL-4 Tranny oil is Redline or Amsoil....

Here, across the Herring Pond, we use Comma SXGL41L 1L SX75W-90 GL-4 Semi-Synthetic Gear Oil, which Amazon will send [free shipping] for UKPound 7.44ea :wink:

I know to remove the 'FILL UP' plug first.... or you may end up with a drained tranny you can't fill!! :frown:

Will post up how it all goes :nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
ZooM !! ZooM !! :surprise:

3 bottles here thismorning = 2 days delivery !!

It would have taken longer to walk to a local factor [who might not have price matched] :frown:

Now..? It is now pouring down (I can only do work in my back lane).... UK Bank Holiday Weekend >> ofcourse :facepalm:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Browsing the web I see.... :nerd:

Front Disc rotor, BREMBO 09.5933.10... 238MM for my Carina2 '91

Identical in every way.. except larger Dia....

Front Disc rotor, BREMBO 09.5676.20... 258MM for **COROLLA 1987-92 1.6i 4A-GE

**... this is also suitable for the ST161 '86 Celica

Anyone got any straightforward brake swap/upgrades for the Strut Caliper/rotor set-up on my car??

I'm not convinced the front of mine is "simply a Corolla = 4x100 lug"

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I commented , above, about different disc/rotor diameters between my car and the 4 Lug Corolla.

Note here.... MY sway bushings are on top (face the floor) like a Camry [pic off web]...

... and are not like the Corolla - on the bottom (face the road)

However.... Giving some more thought here.... My chassis is more of a Celica (I have read as much comment elsewhere!) :laugh:

2sav

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,269 Posts
That top pic is a 3rd gen Camry, if anything. And your pic looks nothing like a Celica either...

That's all Corolla stuff. Look up the AE92 chassis...

-Charlie

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
YaY.... Finally 'lit the blue touchpaper' on my thread :smile:

So, then.... Am I to sling my hook? Bunk a little further down the road?

I have a European Toyota that doesn't seem to fit on here...

Can I stay (do the mods want to stick me on Corona[Carina] section.. But that seems to be a '70s model??) :crying:

Gotts to Laff

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
The 1986 US Toyota Celica GT coupe (ST161) changed to front-wheel drive, utilizing the Toyota "T" platform associated with the Toyota Corona (AT171).

Ah Haaa..... !

My Carina 2 is a 'T' car.... AT171

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
Carina2 1991
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Looking at the 'rear end' photo above you will see my smart new Alloy Pressed licence plates....

Unfortunately the tacky foam tape (3M) is not really Supa Doopa stickie :frown:

I discovered the rear plate hanging on by a thread the other day.... so, decided desperate situations require desperate measures!

I have drilled through the plate/through the stickkie tape & into the boot skin. The small screws are plated PC computer frame screws, likely not to rust. :wink:

Prefer without screw heads... but, well, best be safe :smile:

2sav

21 - 40 of 161 Posts