Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 161 Posts

·
Toyota Collector
11,833 Posts
Standard Jap spec. arms have 2 hole mount for wiper assemblies >> my car has the 'Euro std' mod, a little bracket screwed on to accept 'hairgrip' U type.
I'm still using the original screw on blades no adapter. I use the made in Japan refills from Toyota have not found anything better. Did that gold piece come with the adapter?

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
The mod. brackets were fitted when I got the car.

UK market has a vast range of suitable wiper refill/replacements :smile:

No need to visit the dealer.

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Turn indicator stalk issue! :frown:

When I knock it down (right turn) around half the times I do it I get 'fizzle' sound and the green display flashes like a welding stick!!
If I knock off/down again it is fine......

If I do it with the stalk in 'hi-beam' pushed forward.... Never a problem (I do this in daylight no lights)

If I wiggle the stalk when buzzing it will stop but not every time.

So Then:-

Are these a 'simple' brass/pip contactor - spring loaded?

Is mine worn just in a particular spot (as in NOT where HiBeam position is)?

Can I strip and fix or is it a sign the contacts are getting old & grumpy :crying:

I can find breaker parts but they may be as bad.. Or worse..

2sav

·
Toyota Collector
11,833 Posts
Exact problem happened on my '87 I replaced the combo switch assembly. I assume the contacts went bad/worn I could have tried to repair but a replacement was cheap and easy to find.

What's your VIN or frame code BTW? Sorry if asked and answered.

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
T171 Carina II (European market) or Corona in the rest of the world....

The 'T' platform was the FWD Celica..... No relation of the Corolla :laugh:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
My front and rear Void Rubber Engine Mounts are split & my engine rocks about.

I have found the following Steel Sleeve Bushes are pressed into the fabricated engine mounts :-

FRONT= TMB 091
REAR= TMB 097

.... like this....

Has anyone done a swap? pressed an old, split one out and replaced with a brand new one..??

They are cheaper than a whole Mounting Assembly :nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
A forum contact, in Ireland, is parting out a Carina II and is able to send me the Rear/Drivers side/Pass side Engine Mountings.... He has looked them over and judges them in good condition/no tears :smile:

As these parts are coming to me loose... I may explore 'silicone squeezing' the Rear mount before I give it to my garage guy :nerd:

I have bought a Corolla AE9x Front mount as I believe this will be compatible - we will see!

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Seems the SAAB 9k crew (and HONDA hotters.. ) have good things to say about this..

3M FastCure 5200 boating adhesive. It cures to 60 Shore hardness.

I'm trying to buy some from a ships chandlers, locally.... :nerd:

2sav

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
Turn indicator stalk issue! :frown:

When I knock it down (right turn) around half the times I do it I get 'fizzle' sound and the green display flashes like a welding stick!!
If I knock off/down again it is fine......

If I do it with the stalk in 'hi-beam' pushed forward.... Never a problem (I do this in daylight no lights)

If I wiggle the stalk when buzzing it will stop but not every time.

So Then:-

Are these a 'simple' brass/pip contactor - spring loaded?

Is mine worn just in a particular spot (as in NOT where HiBeam position is)?

Can I strip and fix or is it a sign the contacts are getting old & grumpy :crying:

I can find breaker parts but they may be as bad.. Or worse..

2sav
Pretty common problem across the Toyota line.
Check out 4crawler.com.
In the Tips or Easy Fixes or something like that section there are some tips on fixing the combination switch.

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I have checked out that site, m8

Seen the 'Swiss file' contact dressup. I will pop my wheel and do some poking about...

As the power is 'switched earth' (always live to switch) should I disconnect my battery before poking about?

I love this car >> and no CanBus >> no ECU >> no Memory chips >> no EML >> no EGR.... Ha Ha Ha :wink:

2sav

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
Disconnecting the batt neg cable would be a good idea

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I have viewed a couple of YouTube repairs (Camry) which has a removable/sub assy which clips open to get to the contacts..

My Carina II (Corona) looks like the 90's MR2 - which is an alloy casting, with what looks like a top shaft bush in it, and the switches built into/onto the casting >> anyone here [MR2 guys] know what the situation is with faulty turn stalk :crying:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

..... This place is just along the river from my place, so I dropped by to collect it.

£16.90 cash is the best price I can find anywhere on the Web-o-sphere !

I will confirm my opinion of the upgrade after the REAR mount is fitted :wink:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
As it was the first decent/warm/dry day for a month!!

I made sure the adhesive was smeared onto the inner surfaces before forcing the bulk into the gaps.. This should give maximum grip :wink:

7 days in the warm cupboard, for full curing, and then off to the garage for fitting.

The upper & gbox mounts will be fitted sometime in the future .

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
My brand new Blueprint FRONT mount..

You can see here how the 3M 5200 bead runs around the extreme edge. The mount is spherical, like a doggy ball, but very lightly secured in the steel ring at its edge >> now it is more like a do-nut, there is a corresponding bead around the other side :smile:

The 3M has all now fully cured and, under my thumbnail pressure, is spongy/solid = exactly like the bushing rubber :nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
All booked in for 9AM, Wednesday next :smile:

I will wait - shouldn't take more than 45 mins [hopes!] :surprise:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
:crying: ...

Since getting this car I have had an intermittent issue with wet carpet in the passenger front footwell.
Usually after a solid wet period the carpet would be soggy and some newspaper would be needed under the thick 'PROTON' rubber mat [I once had a 1.5 MPi = dealer mats ftw ]

Webbie searching threw up windscreen seal shrinkage or sunroof drains.

After watching Americans cleaning Toyo drain pipes, with 'weed wakka' string on Utoob, I thought I'd have a look-see...

*note - need dry sunny day / likely !!

Dry sunny morning today....

Took sill flash cover and lower carpet corner trim off.

Reached into void and my finger touched the roof drain plastic pipe... Somewhat alarmingly, it rattled & waved about and I'm sure it is meant to be long enough to be positioned loosely [through the sill section/hole] into the empty space below.

TUBE IS TOO SHORT!

I inserted the above, a polypipe insert, and only pushed it 1/4 way in - very tight fit luckily - and now the extended pipe end is stuck down and fully through the factory sill hole.

Pouring water into the sunroof drain tray and it's running out of the sill bottom...

I poured water into the Drivers side (never a problem) and that came out that sill too!

Will check over the next week or so.... Rainagain Sunday :nerd:

2sav

·
Toyota Collector
11,833 Posts
Maybe there was another section of tubing connected to that via union. Using the part number on that wiring harness I was finally able to figure out what model of car you have relative to models in Japan.

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Yay! 71C, m8 :laugh:

Nah... Tube must have been 'marginal' 28yr ago... and has ended up dumping 80% onto the road + 20% into the footwell :surprise:

...... what gives with the cabling diagrams, then?

Nice to hear from you :wink:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Further to my FRONT sunroof drains...

Above is a 4door MB, however, my rear sunroof drains out similarly = the water comes out from behind the chrome vent/trim on the rear pillar :surprise:

Bit surprised >> quite a lot of Toyota saloons appear to run the plastic pipe into the rear wheelarch/under boot floor ?

Every days a School Day :nerd:

2sav

81 - 100 of 161 Posts