Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 161 Posts

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well.... last night it royally chucked it down... :surprise:

.... my blue-roll paper, in the passenger footwell? BONE DRY !!

WhooPeee :clap:

:chug: Nice One

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
My rear engine mounting has been fitted OK :smile:

The front bushing (Corolla) will not fit :frown: [but the bush could be swapped over to the old steel bracket, as it is the same dimension]

I find the car is now more solid on drive - no more shunting/rattling.

When I d-i-y the other two (L & R) mounts we will have a good grip on everything.

There is no discernible 'teeth rattling/scuttle shake' with the new mount - because the 3M is 60Shore firm, has give :nerd:

Very happy with this Mod :laugh:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
I've noticed a very slight 'skreek-skreek-skreek' coming from my l/h f wheel.

My car was serviced and they seem to have overlooked my pads... They are way down and the caliper is scraping the disc edge :surprise:

Doing it when Amazon drop off the bits...

##YaY##

... Today! :laugh:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
:frown:

One of the four 12MM caliper bolts is truly stuck in the slider....

I don't have a windy/rattle gun to try to 'shock it'.

I have ordered a set of E Torx sockets to see if getting my leverage onto the 'flats' of the bolt head, rather than the corner 'points', will get it to budge.

I will report on how it goes..... Amazon locker tomorrow, so no big delay :wink:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
YaY :smile:

Just arrived after lunch, at the Amazon locker. All done & dusted :wink:

E18 is a dead-on fit for 12MM head bolt. Turned straight out with no give.. Shank rusty so I have smeared oil on the bolt before refitting.

Metrinch would probably be just as good.... but seem to cost the earth! :frown:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
You folks from the 'rust belt' will get this.....

I had a plate welded over the 'classic' sill end corrosion - a Toyota staple, of yesteryear :frown:

Two salt soaked winters, since, had taken a toll on the gloss over paint/preserver....

Getting the plate buffed up and semi dressed, I refinished with a good quality grey (best match on the shelf!!)... It is from our local discounter chain - Lidl :smile:

It looks well rough but, having blasted lashings of void-wax into the sill & arch end, it has no signs of deteriorating :nerd:

..... Let's give it another few years, then.

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
I have discovered a small rusthole in the rear exhaust pipe - where the muffler joins the long plain crossover pipe, it is a slip on joint.

I have bought some 'sticky putty tape' to wrap around but will likely add a ring of cola tin + worm clip :wink:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I have studied some 'carb modding' Utoobs, on my 4A-F 16V engine.

One is called the 'vac spring reverse', disabling the lock out on the opening of the second barrel unless a vacuum diaphragm allows it.....

Old petrol sniffers, here, will recall 28/36 Webers as 'progressive' twin chokes... My AISAN is a twinchoke too

Much dismantling is shown in the vids, to relocate the operating spring, to press the other way = thus unlock the second venturi opening across the throttle opening range.

I plan a 'mod' of my own, simply using a heavy wire to 'lock out' the op rod and free the secondary choke operation... No need to dismantle/disturb the carb in situ.

Will report [with piccies] soon. :nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
..... first time up the ramps and total tyre width squeezed on ;)

>> Ramps

>> Hole

>> Wrap

>> Tin

>> New cambox Gasket

..... The old gasket was crushed flat and brittle hard. I got new tophat seals and 4x Sparkplug tube seals >> the old ones were like polomints[hard!]

The hylomar held the new one in + a squidge on the face should get it all oiltight

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
As a 4A-F owner I'm always interested in finding 'strip down/modding' reports + pictures.

I'm unlikely to actually do any of the mods... But, hey, Knowledge is Power... so it is said.

This link [mebbies everyone has got it bookmarked already?? ]....

http://forum.alltracwagon.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?v-print/m-1301874383/

.... has given me more of an insight to 4A-F construction than anything else on the web :nerd:

I hope it makes as good a read for you....

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited)
I have bought myself a T4 dubbya 'mid section' exhaust box....

EEC EVW573 EXHAUST SILENCER

..... I want to see if this 50mm 'straight thru/resonator' allows some EasyBreathing 😜

Replacing my stock back box.

piccies, as always

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Passed the UK 'inspection', annual MOT - safety corrosion emissions.

My front tyres are feathering lightly, on the inside edge. This was noted in comments/advisory.

Had the tracking/geometry checked in my local shop and it is 100% Factory OK...
Must be just the larger tyre fitment 'trade off' for looks... Ah well, rotate and proceed!

Sorting out a selection of clamps and brackets to get the T4 box mounted - my factory 'suitcase sized' stuffer box has 3 bobbins!! The T4 weighs next to nothing [long empty box] so I will likely compromise on using just the pair at the rear :wink:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #118 (Edited)
Yo... Sun OUT 2day !!

Chopped up my exhaust, now have a bend + clamp/slip joint.

It is straight through and a perforated/glass pack.

Started on an 'edge clamp' - grips the 'bean tin rim' flange edge of box - this will allow me to hook up onto the bobbins/hanger.

.... nothing holding me back now .... :nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Just bought 1metre length of 8mm threaded rod... This allows me to create the cross-rod (through the rubber bobbins) and secure it tight [see holes in my clamp bracket] so no movement 'down the road'.

:nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Gahhh.... My shoulders ache!!

Straightforward enough & pleased with my 'can-clamp' for the rubber hangers.

Very subdued on idle and a lovely 'thrubb' on pickup.... Seems more peppy on the March to 7K >:D

Very worthwhile + cheap 'chop job'... Does 4 Me :smile:

2sav

101 - 120 of 161 Posts