Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Even though I gave the whole installation a good Heave-Ho, to check for clonking anywhere...

... I have had a clonk coming from under the boot floor :frown:

Strategic 'bracketry' has won out = severe hooning now elicits no KLONK :laugh:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I have bought a 50MM size Vac gauge, off eBay.

Anyone had any success tuning their carb using 'mercury vacuum' as the setting?

Some webbie opinions favour the 'true vac', by gauge, over 'setting by ear' - listening to the engine stumble - as an indicator ??

Where do we stand on this ??? :nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Along with the carb tune I'm planning, I have purchased some parts from Amazon...

A set of Bosch moulded plug leads
A rotor arm - Blueprint
A distributor cap - Intermotor

Denso would be all Toyota OEM but Intermotor have a good rep. :nerd:

... looking forward to sorting all this out.

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
...... Quite probably.

I researched 'non Toyota spec' leads and discovered a few that are [basically] a long rigid rubber torpedo, snapping onto the plug but not sealing the tube :frown:

These will at least 'look the part' lol

Cheers

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
*Bosch

The box [... Very Large Box] arrived today and WooHoo.... Out drops the full set of leads + a dizz cap!

It has stamped on the inside of the cap 19101-16120.... This is Toyota part code for 'full set, cap and leads'.

As they were N.O.S. off the shelf I scored for just over 7UkPounds.

Winnah for Dinner :nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)
Having seen vids with folks 'tuning' 4A-F carbs, I notice new vac hose run across the engine.

I decided to buy 2Metres of 4mm i/d silicone vac hose... RED!... off Amazon.

Making a nice change from usual lurid blue :nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
My 'right turn' stalk is getting a nuisance with Bzzz Bzzz Bzzz and NOT flashing the turn lamps....

I have read a detailed stripdown/fix [on Ih8mud forum] and have lots of pictures of the basic construction.

Later Toyotas have the stalk as a 'plug in' unit.... Mine (and MR2) is a complete alloy do-nut around the column.
Wheel off, cowlings removed and then unplug/test/strip as required.

The part I picked up off eBay [V Cheeep!] is a Mk2 MR2 assembly.... But I only want to rob bits so it wont matter. They seem all very basically similar tbh

It can't be too bad because when I push forward [full beam position] the turn switch performs perfectly....

Looking forward to the job - I love taking stuff to bits!

Need a deep 19MM socket, retighten 25 ft/lb. :nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
My MR2 stalks arrived today, along with my 19MM socket & M6 stainless wingnuts (for locating the cambox cover).

Just clearing a spot for taking a peek at the actual 'winker' contacts.... For some insight into their condition (here, s/hand) and how I might fix 'in situ', perhaps, mine on the car.

Interesting..... :nerd:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Winkers Sorted **Winnah** :grin:

..... the bit of tinplated brass that slides across the pips was 'worn bright' = should have a matte tinning finish :surprise:

The piece from eBay, my MR2 switch is mint... So just swapped over and I 'lightly scuffed' the surface of the pips with the edge of my jewellers screwdriver. Re-smeared everything with the excess/clean grease from under the cover and clipped everything back in place.

.... sharpie pen mark to keep wheel back in correct spot!

The nut was finger tight - likely years of folks heaving out.. Fitters arm crank retighten! NaaPraablem :smile:

2sav

·
Brit, in Bitz!
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #140

Replaced cap, leads & rotor arm.

The red vac hose goes for ever... and I haven't done the 'nest' under the carb!

Still need to check timing and clean the outside of the carb (coated in crusty dust and grease) and tune up :smile:

Mojo up for all this :wink:

2sav

121 - 140 of 161 Posts