Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,127 Posts
EDIT: HardtopTE72

This thread will serve as the main thread for tire recommendations and discussion for this forum. This is to avoid having the same question be asked in various threads and the same results being generated.

Some other good threads from other forums include:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/407842-why-no-love-bridgestone-tires-se.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/407563-best-replacement-tires-2012-toyota-camry-xle-i4.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/156-3rd-generation-2005-2012/412656-another-tire-question-michelin.html

215/60/R16

Looking for tires that are cost effective and has decent performance. I've got a low budget but am not looking for the cheapest. Any good recommendations?

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tirecatalog/Firestone/AffinityTouring?article=117768
These are the main tires that I am looking to obtain, my coworker at my shop vouched for them and there is a deal going on at Firestone for Buy 3 Get 1 Free. Though for some reason the Firestone Website say they don't fit my car even though the specs are the same.

·
ilikecamrys
Camry
3,901 Posts
Ignore the firestone website then. Someone probably forgot to punch it in that camrys have that same size.

It's been awhile since I've seen Firestones on a car but you can google search on what other people
have thought about those tires on other cars.

google search "Firestone Affinity Touring review" lol

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Looking for tire recommendations

Tried searching reviews already and of course everybody says it's either great or horrible. I mostly just want to hear what people think and get recommendations on other tires.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
'10 Camry, '99 Sable
326 Posts
I just finished a lot of research, including a survey here, on this size tire for my '10 Camry. I narrowed it down to Michelin Primacy MXV4 and the Bridgestone Ecopia P422. I settled on the Michelin even though there was a $220 price premium. I based my decision on experience with OEM tires that were Michelins and on reviews at several tire sites on the web.

gator1939

·
270hp = Happy Foot
1,123 Posts
If you want a tire that will last forever look at the michelin defenders it has 90,000 mile warranty and they are not that expensive or take a look at michelin mxv4 or bridgestone re970as.

·
ilikecamrys
Camry
3,901 Posts
+1 for Michelin Primacy MX4s ! solid grip, quiet, and comfortable.

·
Registered
2009 Camry LE V6
1,332 Posts
NOT AGAIN....... Michelin Primacy H rated is best

I just finished a lot of research, including a survey here, on this size tire for my '10 Camry. I narrowed it down to Michelin Primacy MXV4 and the Bridgestone Ecopia P422. I settled on the Michelin even though there was a $220 price premium. I based my decision on experience with OEM tires that were Michelins and on reviews at several tire sites on the web.

gator1939
Go here and see my post #12

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/156-3rd-generation-2005-2012/412656-another-tire-question-michelin.html

and then go here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5th-6th-generation-2002-2006-2007-2011/424807-replacement-tire-update-consumer-reports-nov-2012-issue.html

Consumer Reports Magazine rated Primacy MXV4 #1 H rated tire AGAIN ... first in 2009 and again in 2012.

Defender may be fine ..... but more pricey and not as good as low rolling resistence (gas Mileage).

Tire prices sure can vary .... but that $220 per tire seems a bit high ..... but if it includes included mount, lifetime balance, lifetime free tire rotations, and road hazard insurance ...... not a bad deal.

DiscoutTire is great .... stores from Dallas to FL ..... Costco usually has great prices, too.

Mine have 45,000 miles on them and at my last oil change on 1-2-2013 dealer measured tread depth and they are at 7mm ..... which means they will probably go to the full 60,000 treadwear warranty. My OEM Bridgestone Turanzas wore out in 8,500 miles.

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
215/60/R16

Looking for tires that are cost effective and has decent performance. I've got a low budget but am not looking for the cheapest. Any good recommendations?
For some "LOW BUDGET" may be $150 (+m/b/tx), and for others it may be $75. You may want to be a bit more specific.

The Michelin Pilot Exalto sold at Costco and elsewhere for $150 is a "cost effective" espec. when you get the $70 rebate (for 4) available thru 1/30 (that covers the m/b/t)...the Pilot is a 45K mile tire I believe.

Another option is the Cooper CS4 (a 60k mile tire) that can be gotten with a $50 rebate for a per tire price of about $25-30 less than the Pilot and may be closer to "low budget" for you...

Both have much better than "decent" performance....the "decent" / low-budget tire for some would be $100 OEM tire but for another $25 you get far better tread...another option is getting any of those "OEM" type tires as a "new pull-off" from a use tire place...you know those with "25 a tire" on the sign...many will have the tires pulled off new cars by the owner for an upgrade after only 500 miles or so...THEY can be gotten for less than $50 incl. m/b/t...an OEM tire is for some a "low budget-decent performance" tire and may be an option if you can find such a set for under $200.

Enjoy your Toy.

·
Registered
'10 Camry, '99 Sable
326 Posts
Tire prices sure can vary .... but that $220 per tire seems a bit high ..... but if it includes included mount, lifetime balance, lifetime free tire rotations, and road hazard insurance ...... not a bad deal.
The $220 difference was for a set of four. $839.90 vs $662.25 all inclusive (except road hazard insurance) including a four wheel alignment. Sorry for not making that clear.

gator1939

·
Registered
17 Posts
Again for michelins. Just put 2nd set on wifes camry. Great wet traction and she was going around spun out FWD vehicles in Wednesdays snowstorm and made it home safe. Hard to put a price on that. Plus they last and last.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

My budget would be more than $100 but less than $250 or in total for all four tires less than $550.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,606 Posts
is $550 installed or just tire prices. Tax, installation, and fees are going to drive that price up and for $550 installed you probably aren't going to get a lot of great tires in that size.

Tires are the only part of the car that touches the road and are a big factor in determining whether you stop or smash into something. Shop several tires that meet safety and noise requirements first then compare prices and life. Shopping for price first is going to get you some cheap tires.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,606 Posts
But after mounting, balance, and shipping even cheaper tires will be over $550.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I meant with mouting, balancing, and everything else. Snow is another factor.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
855 Posts
this is funny that coincidentally i too am looking for a new set of sneakers.

i went to Firestone's website, and based on my preferences, they recommend the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/vehicle/filterSpecs

i will still shop, my current tires are Michelin, but I need not buy the same tires. I have always been a Firestone customer.

I will check for sales as well for these tires, but I WILL NOT get an alignment (or check of such), as the car goes straight as an arrow, and has NO uneven tire wear. the tires are just normally wearing.

but I will get the road hazard warranty for each tire.

·
Registered
'10 Camry, '99 Sable
326 Posts
The $662 price I mentioned for the Bridgestone Ecopia P422 included a four tire alignment which was $70 of the total. The tires (tax, mount, balance, etc) would be $592 for four.

gator1939

·
Hack
2009 Camry LE
93 Posts
Another vote for the Michelin Defender. Highest rated in Consumer Reports last all-season tire test, including "much better than average" treadwear.

I bought four from Sears for $455, including a $35 off special they were running on a set of 4. Although Sears mounts their tires for free, they'll gouge you royally for balancing, stem lube, etc., so I just checked out TireRack's list of approved installers (it helpfully gives pricing, too). FWIW, Wally World will do a mount & balance for $10 per wheel, less during sales.

The reason the Firestone Affinity doesn't show up when you search for replacement Camry tires is that it has "only" a T speed rating (like Michelin Defender) or 118 MPH. Tire dealers make a living telling people that they can't sell you tires with a lower speed rating than the manufacturer calls for, so don't count on them being willing to do so even if you insist.

Not for anything, but the Affinity Touring came in near the bottom of that CR test, 54 points out of a possible 100.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts