Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ultra-Gauge is one of the new ODBII readers on the market with a great price (~$76 shipped and a rebate form fer $9 back...so about $67 shipped). That's about 40% the price of a Scangauge II shipped ($170). ;)

Purchased it off their website and I had it in my hot little hands in about 3 business days. :D

Not sure I like how you have to take a "test" and a rebate form generator page to git to the rebate form. Just as a quick note...print out rebate form generator page so you can easily check off the boxes from running the "Factory Test". Then you can come back in and input yer data. ;)

These are the (33 plus the 2 UG ones) gauges Ultra-Gauge sez it recognized on my 1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto...not sure what it will come up with on the other T-100 year groups. ;)

* Open/Closed Loop Emissions Status
* Percent Engine Load
* Engine coolant temperature
* Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
* Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
* RPM
* MPH
* Ignition Timing Advance
* Intake Air Temperature
* Mass Air Flow Sensor output in grams/sec
* Absolute Throttle Position Percentage
* Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage
* Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage
* Mass Air Flow 2, Calibrated/Calculated
* Instantaneous Miles Per Gallon (MPG)
* Average Miles Per Gallon (MPG)
* Average Miles Per Hour (MPH)
* Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH) - general
* Run Time - general
* Distance - general
* Fuel Used - general
* Instantaneous Gallons Per Hour (GPH)
* Fuel Tank Gallons Remaining
* Distance to Empty(DTE)
* Time to Empty (TTE)
* Volumetric Efficiency (MAP vehicles only)
* Average MPH - trip
* Average MPG - trip
* Fuel Used Gallons- trip
* Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH) - trip
* Run Time -trip
* Distance - trip
* Oil Distance
* Service Distance
* UltraGauge Temperature

I'm still kinda warming up to the Ultra-Gauge...not sure if it will be better fer my needs than the Scangauge II I have now. :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had the Ultra-Gauge sitting on my custom Scangauge holder (double switch plate) to git an idea on how well it would work. It worked just fine.

So...I made my own custom holder from some left over vinyl gutter downspout. Some creative trimming and I'm able to slide the Ultra-Gauge off rather quickly to hide it and keep it out of sight.

One of the things that doesn't show on my Ultra-Gauge is battery voltage. :(

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have noticed that after the engine's warmed up and I shut the engine down fer a stop...when I start it back up...the engine is in open loop mode. It stays this way fer around 5 to 10 minutes. I slapped the O2 sensors on one of the screens and I can see that the voltage from the front sensor isn't cycling properly...it pretty much reads low voltage fer the 5 to 10 min..

Of course it works fine when it's dead cold in the morning. I'm guessing from that reading that the front O2 sensor is starting to go out...so it's time to buy some new ones from Amazon. ;)

Reactions: rhunter73

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just ordered one for my 1997 4 cyn. Lets see if it works.

Roger
It should. Compared to my Scangauge II, I like it a lot better. I'm tempted to git a splitter cable to see if I can run both at the same time... ;)

Warranty UltraGauge is offered with a 60-day satisfaction guarantee. If you are not satisfied for any reason within 60-days from the delivery date, just return UltraGauge in its original condition for a full refund of the purchase price, less shipping and handling. Units exposed to cigarette smoke are not covered by the satisfaction guarantee.

UltraGauge is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Within this period, Nexzor will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components that fail in normal use, including parts and labor.

Please see the Warranty section of the user manual for full details.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vinyl started flexing a little too much so I had to come up with a better method to mount it. A wire clothes hangar kindly donated part of it's body fer my needs. ;)

This mount allows me to easily move the Ultra-Gauge left/right, in/out, and tilt it forward/backwards. If you do something like this fer yer, remember to make yer adjustments without the Ultra-Gauge mounted or you stand a good chance of snapping the bracket. ;)

Reactions: Ledvette77

·
Registered
1996 t100 x-cab
153 Posts
I wish it had a transmission temperature reading. I am getting one for Christmas.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed that earlier in the thread on the features of the gauge you stated that is shows ignition timing advance. In relation to my transmission, or knock sensor cpu problem, it would be able to show me exactly what's happening when the engine does it's weird thing right?
Although the Ultra-Gauge does show the timing advance, you really need a graph to see how it's doing over time. There is no log on the Ultra-Gauge so you'd have to either video the numbers and translate it or find a better tool like the AutoTap type of diagnostics tool.

That kind of tool would capture all the data as it was happening and you can compare the freeze frames.

When was the last time you had the timing belt changed? Have you inspected it to see if it might have skipped a tooth or is frayed? ;)

·
Registered
1998 Toyota T100 4WD
310 Posts
Although the Ultra-Gauge does show the timing advance, you really need a graph to see how it's doing over time. There is no log on the Ultra-Gauge so you'd have to either video the numbers and translate it or find a better tool like the AutoTap type of diagnostics tool.

That kind of tool would capture all the data as it was happening and you can compare the freeze frames.

When was the last time you had the timing belt changed? Have you inspected it to see if it might have skipped a tooth or is frayed? ;)
I am at 179K and the belt was changed last at 125K so I doubt that is it but it's probably worth a shot. I might look into one of those AutoTap gauges because if that could help me out later on also it would be worth it before I start just replacing things. As I said earlier it's alot of work when I get into swapping the knock sensors and such. And especially with the code it's pulling. That's a big deal of what I'm going off of, because it's gotta be pulling it for a reason. There are so many other codes it could be pulling. And wouldn't I be able to just look at the Ultra-Gauge real time and see if the timing retards or advances when it's supposed to? Because it's doing something when I'm losing power at 3K 60mph. It's not shifting but it's just rapidly losing power and going up hills it actually decelerates.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you tried doing a compression test and a leak down test? I remember some of the V6 engines had a tendency to burn up valves on the backside. ;)

What are the condition of yer plugs? Snap piccies of the business end and post them up. :D

·
Registered
1998 Toyota T100 4WD
310 Posts
Have you tried doing a compression test and a leak down test? I remember some of the V6 engines had a tendency to burn up valves on the backside. ;)

What are the condition of yer plugs? Snap piccies of the business end and post them up. :D
Haven't done a compression test. The plugs and wires were replaced about 5 months ago.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haven't done a compression test. The plugs and wires were replaced about 5 months ago.
But was it doing the low power thing back then? If not, I'd still pull the plugs and check their condition. What kinda plugs did you put in? Denso or NGK dual electrode only...right? ;)

·
Registered
1998 Toyota T100 4WD
310 Posts
But was it doing the low power thing back then? If not, I'd still pull the plugs and check their condition. What kinda plugs did you put in? Denso or NGK dual electrode only...right? ;)
Good point. It wasn't doing it back then. And no offense but of course I used Denso dual electrode. Like I said earlier on I'm not new to engines. I'll pull the plugs and check them out. But it doesn't have a constant power loss only at certain times and it's not in any specific gear. It's only when it "feels like it." If it does it I'm able to stomp on it and make it downshift then after I let off of it it starts acting normal again.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe the TPS is going funky...I don't know. :(

The diagnostics software/hardware will give you enough information to rule certain parts out. ;)

·
Registered
1998 Toyota T100 4WD
310 Posts
Well, got my ultra-gauge in today and hooked it up. Here are some piccies. Already finished customizing the displays. I have the three that are offered as: 1. Fuel 2. Engine Diagnostic 3. Engine Stats

The way that I mounted it was I just took the coin holder out farthest away from the ignition because if you mount it in the one closest it will get in the way. Then I just drilled a hole in the middle of it. I used the mount the gauge came with and cut off the bendable plastic coated wire, left about 3/4" and stuffed in in the hole. It's very solid and I get the original adjustable mount. I'm probably going to end up putting some black silicone in the hole where the wires are to get them to hold a bit better though.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Have you given any thought about rotating yer ODBII port? ;)

Fergit the silicone...use a rubber grommet. Much cleaner and you can find them at the hardware store. :D

·
Registered
1998 Toyota T100 4WD
310 Posts
Have you given any thought about rotating yer ODBII port? ;)

Fergit the silicone...use a rubber grommet. Much cleaner and you can find them at the hardware store. :D
Thanks. I'll do that rotation. And ya thanks for reminding me about the grommet because I have several left over from an old job.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts