Toyota Nation Forum banner

Ultra racing front strut tower brace

5345 Views 54 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  4doorsmorewhores
For those of you curious, the ultra racing front strut tower brace for the 8th Gen Camry looks and fits great. Super well built one piece brace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· 2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I simply posted this to show how the UR bar looks under the hood. There are many other aftermarket options that look like junk in my opinion, and some are three piece designs. I chose the UR due to it being one piece and looking like a quality product. Didn’t expect a bunch of grown men to argue about it not being necessary or a waste of money. I like how it looks under the hood of my car wether it helps or not. Which I’m sure it does add some sort of rigidity to the chassis, as many manufacturers (including Toyota) use a similar design on their cars right out of the factory

· Registered
1,408 Posts
Without any science, there is no way you can say an aftermarket brace is better than the Factory brace.
I agree with your point, but technically the aftermarket bar is being added to the factory brace, not replacing it. So it doesn't need to be better to be worthwhile, it just needs to offer a measurable (and ideally a noticeable) improvement over just the stock brace. Even then, "worthwhile" is obviously subjective.

That being said, OP just bought his for decoration so I don't think we're gonna get an answer in this thread.

· Registered
118 Posts
LOL. An aftermarket strut tower brace is A COMPLETE AND UTTER WASTE OF MONEY in a Camry.

Buy it if you think it looks pretty, and enjoy. But please do not suggest that you're getting better handling than what is already provided by the black brace that the Toyota engineers put in there to begin with.

...oh, and be sure to add a cold air intake, some JDM decals and a seatbelt cozy too. :LOL::ROFLMAO::p🤣

· Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,306 Posts
A strut bar by itself my not have any noticeable handling differences but when combined with other chassis bracing like a rear strut bar, lower bar, fender bar, etc. Then there is a possibility for a different feel. I know when I installed all of mine, it definitely felt different but since I don't track or autocross my (2008) Camry I won't feel the true difference.

· Registered
1,408 Posts
A strut bar by itself my not have any noticeable handling differences but when combined with other chassis bracing like a rear strut bar, lower bar, fender bar, etc. Then there is a possibility for a different feel. I know when I installed all of mine, it definitely felt different but since I don't track or autocross my (2008) Camry I won't feel the true difference.
Upgrading to a thicker rear sway bar is often a high-value mod that will immediately and noticeably improve how the car drives, especially in a lumpy family sedan.

The concept of non-HP upgrades and enhancements is lost on many people. I recently upgraded to lighter wheels and wider, 35 series summer tires, dropping 6lbs of unsprung weight per corner and dramatically improving steering response, grip, and braking. "But it's just a Camry!" Well yeah, but my Camry is safer and more fun to drive now.

· Registered
397 Posts
I simply posted this to show how the UR bar looks under the hood. There are many other aftermarket options that look like junk in my opinion, and some are three piece designs. I chose the UR due to it being one piece and looking like a quality product. Didn’t expect a bunch of grown men to argue about it not being necessary or a waste of money. I like how it looks under the hood of my car wether it helps or not. Which I’m sure it does add some sort of rigidity to the chassis, as many manufacturers (including Toyota) use a similar design on their cars right out of the factory

Which it does. Car chassis themselve have flex in them just as a result of crash protection. Heck, half of the TRD stuff is chassis stiffeners. Basic physics. "For every action, equal and opposite" and all that. On a strut suspension, the entirety of the suspension compression as result transfers up to the strut mount and causes a torsional load in the chassis cause of all the wonderful heavy mass of engine, etc.

By design, car manufacturers also tend to make use of this to help comfort and smooth a cars ride a bit too. The concept of a rigid chassis being safer in handling isnt true. It is more responsive, but it also makes it easier to destabilize. Peeking at toyotas, it is decent, but yours in addition will rigid it up.

The level chassis can flex was something Shelby laughed about when asked one about his suspension on the early cobras. He said they didnt hold the road because of some good chassis design, but because it was so bad, the chassis flex kept the tires down.

It absolutely adds rigidity, and definitely responsiveness. Examples above was just to state how not to underestimate how much a vehicle can twist.

· Banned
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
4,331 Posts
Assumptions go both ways, just like all assumptions opinions... claiming they do nothing or don't work, especially from those that have never used them.

I braced plenty of cars and they were all noticeable. That is proof enough for my driving style and commute.

There are those that do and those that don't. Those that don't shouldn't even comment on the threads started by those that do.

· Registered
536 Posts
Assumptions go both ways, just like all assumptions opinions... claiming they do nothing or don't work, especially from those that have never used them.

I braced plenty of cars and they were all noticeable. That is proof enough for my driving style and commute.

There are those that do and those that don't. Those that don't shouldn't even comment on the threads started by those that do.
Yes, only comment if you agree..... We have feelwings to protect.

· Registered
397 Posts
Yes, only comment if you agree..... We have feelwings to protect.
More like... Somebody does something nice to their car, and come in pointlessly bringing own false assumptions and sarcastic/degrading comments that had no relevance to the discussion. Making them only to give your own sense of superiority.

It is one thing if the comments are factual to disprove incorrect assumptions, such as certain intakes or big exhaust being more power, but in this case the science supports this will not inhibit or negatively affect the car outside of being more rigid in the front. And yes, it will be more rigid because it is steel. The extent of it isnt known, but will have an effect.

Mathematically, even a feather will bend a bar. But so insignificantly it would never be measurable.

When my car comes in a few weeks from now, I am getting so accent decals put on. You going to come in and make same pointless comments? Some sort of complex to feel the need to degrade others who are enjoying their vehicle?

OP? It looks good, and look forward to seeing what more you do!

· Registered
45 Posts
I have this strut brace on my 2020 Camry. I can feel a difference on corners. If you don't believe it ok. Driving it is knowing.
Also have some other braces which I like the way it drives when installed. I can tell the difference.

Attachments

· Banned
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
4,331 Posts
TRD parts already mentioned. Obviously, TRD thinks that some parts could use an upgrade:

· Registered
397 Posts
TRD parts already mentioned. Obviously, TRD thinks that some parts could use an upgrade:
TRD wheels be not a bad option either. Decently priced through toyota and a good weight. Get dealer installed? Even get a good warranty on em. Lighter than stock.

· Registered
8 Posts
For those of you curious, the ultra racing front strut tower brace for the 8th Gen Camry looks and fits great. Super well built one piece brace.

Just added ultra racing front strut tower brace to my 2022 Camry SE Nightshade - simple install and major difference in performance - Great quality and welds and perfect fit!

· Registered
224 Posts
I agree with the OP, but I have read this entire thread purely for the entertainment of the comments and opinions. In the end, who cares what someone else does to their car, be it a Camry, Corolla, Yaris...it's THEIRS. And sure it's easy to say "oh but it's just a __"...sure is...and it's mine! No need to go over the top to prove some stranger "wrong" for the sake of making yourself appear, "right". Most of us are buying these as our dailies, and for family haulers...so why not make that a little more interesting and entertaining?!?!?!?! We can't all afford a toy car for weekend blasting...we have mortgages and family costs to take care of.
I have an 2015 Corolla S...put on FSTB and RSB and no one can will ever convince me they were a waste of money at all. Car behaves completely differently...and would never expect it being "just a Corolla" to handle as well as it does. Same goes for the CAI. I have an INJEN version and no one can tell me it was a waste of money. It's brilliant...sounds amazing, turns heads, and it surely DOES feel more responsive and quicker through the revs. Also, I do no need to replace the standard air filter (which is also a consumable COST).
To those who always claim these aftermarket add-ons are a waste, I bet my bottom dollar they spend money on stuff others would consider waste. No need to be a keyboard warrior here...the whole idea is to have fun. So let's have fun!
<END RANT>

· Registered
1,408 Posts
Just added ultra racing front strut tower brace to my 2022 Camry SE Nightshade - simple install and major difference in performance - Great quality and welds and perfect fit!
Adding a strut bar to your SE/XSE/TRD won't get you any major improvements with handling.

(Full disclosure: I have the same UR strut tower bar installed on my SE along with the upgraded TRD chassis braces and rear sway bar.)

Strut tower braces are used to reduce inward flex of the front struts during hard cornering. On cars with no strut bracing and a poor chassis/suspension that is prone to body roll, it can help the car handle better and be more predictable through corners.

The Camry SE/XSE/TRD already have a factory stamped-steel strut tower brace as I mentioned in an earlier comment. It attaches to the rear bolts on both strut mounts and runs along the top of the firewall (easy to see if you're looking for it). That steel brace would need to compress (not just bend) to allow the strut towers to flex, which won't happen to any noticeable degree even with the hardest driving. That brace is strong enough that even the V6 TRD uses the same one, so Toyota engineers clearly didn't see a need to upgrade it when they upgraded the rest of the TRD's suspension and chassis.

I am all for improving the way my car drives and handles to get the most fun out of it, even though it's "just a Camry". But unless you bought it for looks, that strut bar money is better spent on upgrading your sway bar(s) or swapping in lighter wheels and performance tires. Honestly I considered getting the whole UR chassis upgrade package, but couldn't justify the price for a daily driver that doesn't see a ton of sporty driving.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts