Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2016 XSE Camry with the cloth/leather seats and find them very uncomfortable. Get back pain and the base part seems to be hard. Long trips are not good. Anyone find this to be the same in theirs? I have read a few older posts in which people have commented the same thing. This is my first import car - always had Chevs and Fords and never had a problem with their seats. But for some reason Toyotas are not good. I test drove the car and it was ok then but after about a week of using it the problems started. I've tried all sorts of adjustments and aftermarket seat pads / Obusformes and related... not really working. Can't seem to find a good `sweet spot' in the adjustments. Anyone have the same issue and figure this out?

·
Registered
916 Posts
We have the same issue with our Avalon seats. My seats (cloth, bench) are much better than my wife's 03 ("leather," bucket). My pain, however, is along my driving leg, not my back, so my comments here may not apply.

We came to Avalon from Gen 4 Taurus, whose seats where incredibly good. We have lower back pressure adjustments on our Avalon seats, but they do no good.

Ironically, for our long-gone 1992 V20 narrow body Camry, there was an optional manually-adjustable (i.e., non-power) seat for the driver side. I was able to find one in a junkyard and swapped it in -- it was specifically touted as a seat designed with input from orthopedic experts -- and it was great, even though the little Camry seat was way too small and barely adjustable fore-and-back for my 6/3" frame. What a shame that Toyota didn't tap these guys in the 21st Century!

Meanwhile, about adaptation: I've done a lot of looking at piriformis muscle information. Once it's unhappy, since it wraps around the sciatic nerves, it makes the sciatics unhappy. The unhappy sciatic nerves create a very insistent leg pain, but the unhappiness can travel upstream so to speak and cause back pain.

I am much closer with the following cushion which showed up on a couple of lists of cushions good for pirformis issues. It was $8 cheaper when I bought it last month: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1CBYAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I have had to toss the cover and separate the sides at the center and glue in (using 3M Foam Fast 74) a 4-inch spacer of dense foam -- to accommodate my wider butt. Then I had to cut it in half vertically (instead of 3+ high, it's now 1 1/2")... otherwise, I was sitting too high.

I am now in the process tweaking it... it started out with too much pressure on the right thigh, so I sculpted the right underside... and got it too low, so I've begun building it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have the same issue with our Avalon seats. My seats (cloth, bench) are much better than my wife's 03 ("leather," bucket). My pain, however, is along my driving leg, not my back, so my comments here may not apply.

We came to Avalon from Gen 4 Taurus, whose seats where incredibly good. We have lower back pressure adjustments on our Avalon seats, but they do no good.

Ironically, for our long-gone 1992 V20 narrow body Camry, there was an optional manually-adjustable (i.e., non-power) seat for the driver side. I was able to find one in a junkyard and swapped it in -- it was specifically touted as a seat designed with input from orthopedic experts -- and it was great, even though the little Camry seat was way too small and barely adjustable fore-and-back for my 6/3" frame. What a shame that Toyota didn't tap these guys in the 21st Century!

Meanwhile, about adaptation: I've done a lot of looking at piriformis muscle information. Once it's unhappy, since it wraps around the sciatic nerves, it makes the sciatics unhappy. The unhappy sciatic nerves create a very insistent leg pain, but the unhappiness can travel upstream so to speak and cause back pain.

I am much closer with the following cushion which showed up on a couple of lists of cushions good for pirformis issues. It was $8 cheaper when I bought it last month: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1CBYAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I have had to toss the cover and separate the sides at the center and glue in (using 3M Foam Fast 74) a 4-inch spacer of dense foam -- to accommodate my wider butt. Then I had to cut it in half vertically (instead of 3+ high, it's now 1 1/2")... otherwise, I was sitting too high.

I am now in the process tweaking it... it started out with too much pressure on the right thigh, so I sculpted the right underside... and got it too low, so I've begun building it up.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried all sorts of cushions and Obusforme ergocentric things and they all make me sit too high. I find no matter how I adjust the seat I get some sort of pain - be it back pain or neck pain. Somehow the seat just is angled that it bothers me. And my wife's Corolla is no different other than it bugs me driving it very quickly.

Its a shame - the car is a nice car - looks good - great engine and tranny and reputation... they somehow just can't get the seats right.

I think I will end up either putting in different seats alltogether, else taking it to an automotive upholstery place and get re-done, or (last resort) sell the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re upholstering will do nothing.
Look into dropping in Lexus seat.
What model of Lexus would have seats that would fit a 2016 Camry? And would they have any issues involving the seatbelts and airbag system (seat belt tensioners)?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have tried all sorts of cushions and Obusforme ergocentric things and they all make me sit too high.
That's why I've cut mine in half, height-wise.

Somehow the seat just is angled that it bothers me. And my wife's Corolla is no different other than it bugs me driving it very quickly.
Back angle? Or seat angle? I'm familiar only with Taurus and Avalon seats, where the seat angle adjusts, that is you can raise the front of the cushion up, back of the cushion down and vice versa (within limits) and the backs are OK for me -- in the Avalon, the seat rake adjustment is continuous with an electrical control, on the Taurus I remember 5-6 settings with a manual pull lever. No type of seatback wedge or lower back cushion works?

·
6,226 Posts
What model of Lexus would have seats that would fit a 2016 Camry? And would they have any issues involving the seatbelts and airbag system (seat belt tensioners)?
You need to talk to folks that know cross model compatibility. This may or may not be possible, for reasons you mentioned. But Lexus seats are more comfortable that's for sure. Though, this time, as seats cost pretty penny, do a long test drive on them.
This is one of those jobs, when you need someone ingenious with hands and head.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why I've cut mine in half, height-wise.

Back angle? Or seat angle? I'm familiar only with Taurus and Avalon seats, where the seat angle adjusts, that is you can raise the front of the cushion up, back of the cushion down and vice versa (within limits) and the backs are OK for me -- in the Avalon, the seat rake adjustment is continuous with an electrical control, on the Taurus I remember 5-6 settings with a manual pull lever. No type of seatback wedge or lower back cushion works?

I looked at the cushion and may still buy one and cut it down... but for me the problem is in the lower back. And if I adjust the seat bottom to raise higher in the front, then I get neck issues. Very weird - never had this much problem in a seat. I always had domestic cars and could adjust them properly. My best seat in a car was in a Ford Mustang. Could drive that 8 hrs without issues. But Toyota seats... not sure why. My wife's Corolla seat kills my back after 1 hour, and a few years back i rented a Corolla Type S and had the same issue.

I may look into a Lexus ES300 or ES350 seat of a similar year and see if that would fit - if its not too much $$.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need to talk to folks that know cross model compatibility. This may or may not be possible, for reasons you mentioned. But Lexus seats are more comfortable that's for sure. Though, this time, as seats cost pretty penny, do a long test drive on them.
This is one of those jobs, when you need someone ingenious with hands and head.

Thanks - I'll see if I can find a good swap at a wrecker perhaps.... hard to get a Lexus out for a long enough drive without renting one for a week. May have to though...

·
Registered
916 Posts

·
6,226 Posts
There are several swaps here at TN, but they all are for older generation Camry/Solara. Donor cars were ES models. Either a relative or a salvage yard. Plugs do not match.... You have 16 model, which may be too smart for the job, with body position sensors, air bags etc, crammed into them. Folks say that seat mounting points are same though..but that's where ease of it stops. If you were good with hands and tools, maybe swap seat cushion. My MGM seat was killing me, but she's 98, so cushion is beat up. I had it out several times, added side bolster, tried different positions, finally ended with bolster under the cushion and garden bench 1 inch flat cushion, long enough to give me double ars cushion and extend into lumbar area as lumbar support. That's it. But that seat is nowhere as advanced as what you have.

Oh, and on physiology side. If you get strong gluteus, it makes seating much more comfortable. We sit a lot, gluts are weak and thin. Sitting bone punches through.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are several swaps here at TN, but they all are for older generation Camry/Solara. Donor cars were ES models. Either a relative or a salvage yard. Plugs do not match.... You have 16 model, which may be too smart for the job, with body position sensors, air bags etc, crammed into them. Folks say that seat mounting points are same though..but that's where ease of it stops. If you were good with hands and tools, maybe swap seat cushion. My MGM seat was killing me, but she's 98, so cushion is beat up. I had it out several times, added side bolster, tried different positions, finally ended with bolster under the cushion and garden bench 1 inch flat cushion, long enough to give me double ars cushion and extend into lumbar area as lumbar support. That's it. But that seat is nowhere as advanced as what you have.

Oh, and on physiology side. If you get strong gluteus, it makes seating much more comfortable. We sit a lot, gluts are weak and thin. Sitting bone punches through.
I think my bottom line (excuse the pun) will be to have some work done on the lower cushion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a 2016 XSE Camry with the cloth/leather seats and find them very uncomfortable. Get back pain and the base part seems to be hard. Long trips are not good. Anyone find this to be the same in theirs? I have read a few older posts in which people have commented the same thing. This is my first import car - always had Chevs and Fords and never had a problem with their seats. But for some reason Toyotas are not good. I test drove the car and it was ok then but after about a week of using it the problems started. I've tried all sorts of adjustments and aftermarket seat pads / Obusformes and related... not really working. Can't seem to find a good `sweet spot' in the adjustments. Anyone have the same issue and figure this out?
Turn your head rest around. See if that helps you. It helped me a whole lot !!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I got a cushion that has a little "notch" cutout in the cushion about where the end of your spin would be.
This is supposed to help.
My 2016 SE is fine except for LONG trip, like over 4 hours.
Cushion helps, but that is a LONG time to be sitting in the first place.
If I make an effort to stop more often and walk a short bit......just into service plaza (turnpike) and use the restroom, I find that I do much better also.
So this combination helps.
When I try to do the marathon thing......much worse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts