Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go on long drives in my 2004 Matrix I get a feeling like someone is punching me in my kidneys.

Does this happen to anyone else?

I am rather small/thin and I don't even touch the sides of the seat but I think the lower part of the padding is pooling and putting pressure across my entire lower back - my spine is not affected but the kidneys on each side start to feel it?

Sounds weird and I never had this problem in any other car before or my office chair so just wondering...

·
Super Moderator
14,566 Posts
Go to an upholstery shop and see if they can add padding. Sometimes it wears out and you lose support.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering if it is possible to interchange parts from the passenger seat into the drivers side since the passenger is barely used.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I put Corolla XRS seats in mine and have done 3 hour drives no problem. The Corolla XRS seats are different, and are much sportier bucket seats.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put Corolla XRS seats in mine and have done 3 hour drives no problem. The Corolla XRS seats are different, and are much sportier bucket seats.
oh wow, sounds kinda slick

how expensive were they and how much work was it?

do they just drop in place and use the same bolts to the floor?

I do drive an XR (not XRS) but I suspect these are not "sport" seats

·
Registered
86 Posts
oh wow, sounds kinda slick

how expensive were they and how much work was it?

do they just drop in place and use the same bolts to the floor?

I do drive an XR (not XRS) but I suspect these are not "sport" seats
The seats bolted in, I'm using the Corolla rails so they sit crazy low compared to the Matrix seats. Only thing I needed to do was take some wiring off my passenger seat, but I suspect the Corolla seats had them removed for some reason.

I paid $200 for them from someone who was parting out a Corolla XRS. I never heard of it being done before so I took a gamble.

All Matrixes had the same seats, but the Corolla XRS had spevil seats amongst other things. They only come in that green sport cloth fabric, so if you have that gray sport goth in the Matrix it won't match. Myou Matrix has the green sport cloth and a lot of my friends had no idea the seats are from a Corolla XRS.

Matrix XRS seat on the left and Corolla XRS seat on the right. These pics are old and I don't have any of them installed, I'll try to get some today.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The seats bolted in, I'm using the Corolla rails so they sit crazy low compared to the Matrix seats.
thanks for the photo update

funny to see them in a living/dining room

but I kinda like "sitting high" in the matrix so I can see above some cars like in a truck, but unfortunately people are driving larger and larger SUVs now so the extra matrix height doesn't always help

I think I am going to do a cheap route and find a lumbar roll that will fit/sit properly on the seat for now

like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71Q2lK6C64L.jpg

can't believe how much pain those seats put me in on long drives, it's weird, never had that problem in previous cars

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,536 Posts
I added 3/4" spacers (urethane sway bar link grommets) under driver's seat front mounts, with longer bolts to fix the lacking thigh support which settled the lower back problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I added 3/4" spacers (urethane sway bar link grommets) under driver's seat front mounts, with longer bolts to fix the lacking thigh support which settled the lower back problem.
this sounds very interesting and something cheap and easy I could try

but I am trying to visualize it

are you saying you put those spacers under only the front part of the seat mounts and not the rear, so the seat tilts back slightly?

or am I getting it all wrong?

could you spec the bolts for me, best guesstimate as to the size and length?

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,536 Posts
this sounds very interesting and something cheap and easy I could try

but I am trying to visualize it

are you saying you put those spacers under only the front part of the seat mounts and not the rear, so the seat tilts back slightly?

or am I getting it all wrong?

could you spec the bolts for me, best guesstimate as to the size and length?
You got it! I don't remember the bolt size... Just remove one and have it matched with a bolt that is sufficiently longer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Installed photos. I've had the seats in the car for maybe 1.5 years. I can drive for hours and not get any pain like in the old Matrix seats. I also didn't swap the Matrix rails on, so like I said before, they sit very low. You cn probably gauge from my pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's up man, I know this post is old but which corolla xrs seats did you put in? 9th or 10th gen? And did you just swap the seats or the rails as well? If so do you sit lower than the stock matrix seats?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts