Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First timer here. Looked at a beautiful, black '97 T-100 in May off a private owner. Before purchasing, noticed rust on the rocker panels. Decided wasn't too bad since only planned on using vehicle til kids through college. Did cursory inspection underneath. Went ahead and bought the truck. That cursory inspection was a bad move.

Had two weeks and brakes went out while daughter was driving. Mechanic said extremely rusted undercarriage and that brake lines had rusted through.

Had dealer inspect for rust issues using same methodology of Tacos and Tundras that were recalled for same issue. It failed miserably.

The other day, noticed gas dripping from bottom of tank. Turns out the tank has rusted through and all associated lines as well.

Contacted National Transportation Safety Department and filed complaint. Also contacted Toyota corporate and registered complaint.

Internet research shows lots of rust issues with this vehicle. Yet, Toyota has never issued a recall. Why?

Thinking of starting a class action lawsuit.

I've beaten myself up pretty bad for being so stupid and not inspecting it more closely before I bought it. It's just that it looked so darn nice and I really wanted it. :)

·
Mmmm Cookies....
iM
526 Posts
I bought my 96 T from PA and its pretty bad. No rusted lines yet but the cab and bed are getting ugly. One of my cab mounts is almost rusted through.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
Sorry to hear you got a rusted up T-100. :(

Snap some piccies and post them up. I'm curious what's not rusted. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
funny you should mention, the reason for me getting on this forum tonight in quite a while is because my fuel tank is leaking due to a rust hole, and oh btw my ebrake is broke due to rust, as was about everything else at one point. it still a great truck besides the rust, even with it as a matter of fact. I will just fix each repair as they come up. I will still be cheaper than owning a ford or chevy of the same age and usage. OBTW my truck has 200k miles in upstate NY. Let me know if you need any help with the suite. I just drained my gas tonight and plan on dropping the tank in the upcoming weeks. I will probably have to replace alot of the sending unit, straps and hoses after I get it all apart, maybe even some lines.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,676 Posts
You might think about having the new/repaired gas tank Line-X'd... ;)

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Welcome to the world of Toyota trucks. Frame and body rust has been a major problem since 1980.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the world of Toyota trucks. Frame and body rust has been a major problem since 1980.
Typically only in the salted states or those that do salt water boating, but in those instances it is very severe.

I live in CA, and had a Hi-lux 4WD and now a T100. Neither suffer the dreaded Toyota Truck Rot. None of my CA friends or neighbors suffer from such either.

All my bolts and threads underneath the truck are sharp, and its a breeze for me to break a nut or bolt loose, and I have always kept my trucks outside. I am amused and smile when I hear about cutting bolts or breaking bolts or gas tanks that leak or trucks that were totalled out due to Toyota Truck ROT!. It is expensive living in CA (in more ways than just $$'s) but I figure it is like that because we save money on things like this.

The real problem though is with Chevrolet, as those Chevrolets that were crushed up into tiny metal cubes and shipped to Japan to make the Toyota trucks were made of steel that corrodes really easy. I know as I had some of those Chevrolets that rusted from underneath the paint then bubbled out and that was in CA on garaged cars. Only cars I know that did that sort of thing.

Tell Toyota to stop using old crushed up Chevrolets to make their trucks.

As for your truck rot, you are out of luck on Toyota doing anything more than giving you a rebate/discount on a new Toyota truck purchase and that is only if you complain a lot. Even then it is not for full value of the vehicle. Expect something like $500 to $4000 as thats what I have heard and only for trucks less than 10 years old. They do not do repairs, they do not refund money.

Sorry for your expensive lesson.

Any chance of returning it to the seller?

·
Longtime Toyota Fan
6 Posts
Wow! You wouldn't know it down here. We have plenty of used trucks down here that are in great shape except for the ones suffering contractor abuse or mud bogging damage. I can't think of the last time I saw a Florida truck with a rusted through body that didn't belong to a pool boy or a salt water fisherman who keeps his live-bait well in the back of the bed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thinking of starting a class action lawsuit.
good luck with that chances are you wont get anything other than more of a headache and in the end be even deeper in the truck than you currently are have you searched for a parts truck to try and use to fix yours sometimes a parts truck can save you alot of money

1 - 9 of 9 Posts