Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma 4wd v6
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s no way for me to stay organized here, but I’ll try to lay out my experiences. It’s too much for one post - apologies.

Background: 2002 Tacoma SR5 Extra Cab began to have more and more rust. Everything that wasn’t the frame looked fine, but I could see through the muffler, and the frame was flaking inside and out. Finding this forum alerted me to the problem (thank you). I waited nearly two years for undercoating to be available in Ohio. It wasn’t. It was catch-22 – get this done in Ohio before 10/31/10, and btw, you can’t get this done in Ohio before 10/31/10.

Creating eligibility: I created a case number with Toyota to make sure I wasn’t left out of the loop. Through my case number, I requested and finally received documentation that my VIN was eligible. I found a confident dealer in Indianapolis who had undercoated 230 vehicles, plus a few frame replacements. I found almost no dealers in my calls that were fluent with the problem or solution. The short story is that I got the process done in Indiana 8/11/2010. I noticed one document that valued the process at over $500.

Subsequently, I received a letter from Toyota that the process was approved for Ohio. I feel it’s highly unlikely that dealers will be able to implement the process in the few months prior to Oct 31. Somewhat unbelievably, my case manager could not advise me of any locations performing the undercoating. I did all the research myself and was fortunate to find a dealer who accepted vehicles registered out of state. Since it’s “customer support” and not a “recall”, it’s at the dealer’s discretion.

The process: I did some prep work myself with a 3,000 PSI pressure washer and got a lot of external flaking off. There are factory holes in the frame and I blew as much water in there as possible, even blowing out a hide-a-key container I assumed to be long gone! Your spare tire needs to come out since they need to coat above it. Plan to do any other necessary maintenance underneath before this coating is applied. Any clothing coming into contact with this stuff is a goner. The wax they shoot on the inside will drain out for several days. After two weeks the stuff on the outside is still quite gummy and has an amazing affinity for skin and fabric.

Conclusion: I would have liked more of this slathered on, but I’m now under warranty. I think if you knock the flake loose under the coating, the flake comes off and takes the coating with it. My bumper is trash and I’ll look into that happening either at Toyota’s or my own expense. Most importantly, I can get and keep a handle on this. I could not have figured this out on my own.
Thanks,
Greg

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just can't believe the rust under your truck, they must really use alot of salt in your area, looks to me that the dealer should of done something to neutralize the rust before just spraying it on,from what I can see it looks as if the truck would of qualified for a new frame,did you wash it much in the winter? I hope that works out for you.

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma 4wd v6
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do use a lot of salt, but nobody else's vehicle looks like this, I assure you! It passed three frame inspections. Rust begets more rust, so it wasn't this bad a few years ago. The vehicle is always garaged, but the garage isn't heated, so it can be impractical to wash the thing in below freezing temperatures.

It's untreated steel exposed to the elements, plain and simple. I was pretty bummed, but I know where Ford and GM would have left this.

So far as I know, rust ceases as soon as the oxygen supply is cut off. If the frame breaks in two before 2017, I think I'll be entitled to a new one.;)

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
cool pics!

any chance you are still around TN and can give a 10+ year update on this and how its holding up or not, etc.

and what kind and type of wax are you referring to being sprayed internally?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.