Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Thread Killer
Taco DC 4X4 SR5
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Anyone notice the understeer on these trucks? Is there anyway to correct this? I would like a little more responsive steering, rather then pushing through corners. :thumbdown

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
Is this your first truck? If not, what truck did you have before and how did it respond to your style of driving? If you wanted sportier, why didn't you opt for the X-Runner? Did the SR5 not understeer for you when you test drove it? I'm just curious...

·
The Thread Killer
Taco DC 4X4 SR5
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

First, I don't drive that fast :lol: really I don't. No this is not my first truck, I had a 01 GMC reg cab 8ft bed and had no problem with understeering. I live in Maine, didn't want the X runner and come to think of it I don't think I've even seen one here. Didn't notice any understeer when I test drove a truck, not my truck. Maybe it just the way they drive.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
uhh, it's not a sports car. if you're getting understeer in a corner, you're going too fast for that particular corner, unless you're on a racetrack or autox course, which i somehow doubt. ;)

i have absolutely no problems with understeer unless i'm driving on ice.

-Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had a '86 chevy 2wd work truck, a '90 chevy blazer 4x4, 2 frontier 4x4s and a 2004 Titan 4x4. The tacoma definately has a little more understeer than all of these others, but it is not unmanageable after you get used to it and adjust your driving and speed while cornering. Every vehicle has some uniqueness in its handling characteristic, it doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong.
Like torque-steer in a front weel drive car, youwill have different levels of steering wheel response in a rear wheel drive truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
These trucks appear to have very little, if any, negative camber. I have not measured my truck's FEA yet, but it looks and drives as if it has essentially zero or slightly positive camber. I have a hunch the trucks are aligned at the factory with settings of positive camber and toe out.

If anyone has a copy of the Toyota Factory Service Manual, please post the alignment data for the 4x4.

Thanks.

·
The Thread Killer
Taco DC 4X4 SR5
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the input, I guess I'll have to get used to how it handles. No big deal

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB
356 Posts
Yes, you can make it handle better and reduce the understeer. Take your truck to a performance alignment shop shop and have them set .5 deg of Neg. camber, as much caster as then can get in it, and total Toe OUT to 1/32th (or at leat 0 Toe). The little bit of toe out will cause your truck to track uneven pavement and ruts so if this would bother you then set the toe to 0 or 1/32 of toe IN.

The alignment shop MUST have a HUNTER alignment machine with the CAMS software (and know how to use it) to properly align your truck.

All cars front alignment is set to understeer because most people don't know how to handle oversteer. So, if you don't, then DO NOT change your alignment.

To go any further you will have to have some custom rear parts done to keep the rear axle in place (panhard rod and another bar position forward..latter bar).

No, I have not done this to my truck yet, but it on my list of many things to do...some day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts