Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on what this light and button are for? It's mounted just under the hood release button. The green light on the front flashes about every second when the car is turned off. The light turns off completely when the car is running. And the light flashes multiple times each second for about 20 seconds when the car is first turned off. I can't find anything in the manual.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,862 Posts
Doesn't look OEM, left overs of a add-on security system?
There was a fake one in my MR2 that would flash in an attempt to deter wanna be thieves. Eventually it became a parasitic draw on the battery and I had to play Gumby under the dash and remove all the amateur wiring. Ugh!

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,136 Posts
That's the KARR security system.
A lot of dealers install it to protect their inventory, and they leave it enabled if you pay extra for it.
If you don't pay for it, they disable it and peel the sticker off of the driver's window, but they leave the mess in there.

That thing is tied into your wiring harness, probably using 3M quick-taps.

I was really pissed to find that mess in my wife's '15 Rav4 after the finance guy's speech about how these cars are so wrapped up in the electronics that aftermarket parts will cause problems.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,136 Posts
At least yours is discreet.
The one on my wife's Rav was screwed into the face of the panel above the hood release.
When the dealer removed it, they didn't replace the panel and left holes from the screws.
I made them replace the panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts