Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With less than 4500 miles, they had to replace the CVT on my 2014 S Plus Corolla. (by the way, the put a REMANUFACTURED unit) , got it back, now handling is a total mess, they gave it back to me and say that everything is fine with it. I felt so many noises and such a bad handling that sent the car to the dealer in a tow...! but they say is fine. Be prepared, about your dashboard sound, It was always on the driver's side, now it comes from BOTH sides.. Set complaints in the NHTSA 10560914 and 10560915, but seems that they don't care about (TOYOTA). And if you ever need a tow... they take care of the car, you, your family or the ones inside it will have to find their way by themselves (was 25 miles away from home at night when it was towed...!) VIN 2T1BURHE9EC012050 Corolla S Plus 2014. Not even a call from Toyota about it..! Actual odo. 4950 miles

·
Registered
179 Posts
One incident does't make all CVT unreliable, but it is something to keep an eye out on since it is a first with Corollas. I would try and get an extended warranty out of the deal. Also, if the car is still not right, I wouldn't settle for it. Go to another dealer and call Toyota USA. If that still doesn't work, you can open a BBB case and just keep escalating from there if needed. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What was wrong with the transmission that it needed to be replaced? And I don't understand how the transmission could cause the handling to be a total mess, and the dashboard to get noisier. Could you elaborate a little bit on what is happening?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If that still doesn't work, you can open a BBB case and just keep escalating from there if needed. Good luck and keep us posted.
The BBB has lost a lot of credibility over the years, and isn't worth pursuing. He would have better luck contacting his state attorney general's office.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would like to know to what happened to the transmission. The only problem I have ever had is one day about a month ago, car is 2 months old now with 3300 miles on it, I had gotten about 1/8 of a mile, car was cold and outside temp was around 0 to 10 below I accelerated moderately and the car pulled hard to the left for no apparent reason. I let off the throttle and everything has been perfect since then. To me it felt like it was in the transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, the transmission problems started with random pulling that made the whole car shake/pull when tried to re accelerate at low speeds. And finally giving pulls/lack of power when the car was driven at low speeds or in parking ramps where you have to go slow, is like driving in fourth gear when it needed to be in 1st gear, the engine even backfired...!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the handling problem started right after the transmission replacement, the took apart the subframe to have it installed, seems like they did not correct the front wheel alignment after... the dashboard noise is another story, came with the car since I got it....

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
Corolla handling a mess? Imagine that....
:help: This statement makes no sense. Every Corolla I've ever owned has handled just fine & I've owned many of them over the years.

·
Registered
90 Posts
:help: This statement makes no sense. Every Corolla I've ever owned has handled just fine & I've owned many of them over the years.
CVT tranny is a new thing for Toyota though. Even though they've been examining for a while, it's still a first time thing, and in my personal experience, I don't recommend CVT transmissions. I had an audi with that same tranny and it ended up being a mess. They are suing audi because a lot of these transmissions were CRAP. I'm really hoping this doesn't happen to toyota

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
CVT tranny is a new thing for Toyota though. Even though they've been examining for a while, it's still a first time thing, and in my personal experience, I don't recommend CVT transmissions. I had an audi with that same tranny and it ended up being a mess. They are suing audi because a lot of these transmissions were CRAP. I'm really hoping this doesn't happen to toyota

But the transmission should have nothing to do with how the car handles, how it drives maybe but not how it handles.

·
Registered
2014 Corolla "S" Plu
195 Posts

And I had an Audi with a traditional transmission (ZF) that had issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the handling problem started right after the transmission replacement, the took apart the subframe to have it installed, seems like they did not correct the front wheel alignment after... the dashboard noise is another story, came with the car since I got it....
Can you identify where the noise came from? I'm asking you because I've been having problem with a noise annoying noise that came from the AC outlet frame, both sides. I just wonder if you have the same problem. Thanks.:dunno:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Luisuraq-I would argue to say that the car simply needs an alignment to cure you "handling" woes. My guess, is that the caster is off just enough to warrant a pull or possibly the camber is just a hair more on one side. One your initial post you also mention noises. As others have mentioned, a quick video highlighting these noises would be spectacular.

I would like to know how your CVT has been since the replacement tranny was installed. As far as your comment regarding the "Reman" unit, most manufacturers have been doing this for years. It's cost effective and the reman center replaces only the parts that fail. In your case, with a low mileage CVT, all other parts are new.

My guess as to what happened to your initial CVT tranny was poor internal pressure causing a slipping CVT "belt". How many miles do you have on the vehicle at present?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts